Anybody ever split a 5520?

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #11  
There are at least two dowel pins in the block to bell housing interface as I recall

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #12  
There are at least two dowel pins in the block to bell housing interface as I recall
Dowel bolts are different than the tractor dowel pins. Dowel bolts are longer bolts than the case bolts and the head is removed. Screw these into the middle bolt holes in the case and this helps line up the input shaft to the pilot bearing. It also aligns the case while you are pushing the to halves together.

Last edited:
   / Anybody ever split a 5520? #13  
How many hours on your machine?

I'll be watching and learning. Thanks for posting pics.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #14  
Dowel bolts are different than the tractor dowel pins. Dowel bolts are longer bolts with the case bolts and the head is removed. Screw these into the middle bolt holes in the case and this helps line up the input shaft to the pilot bearing. It also aligns the case while you are pushing the to halves together.
Back when I was a JD dealer service manager when splitting tractors we use bolts with heads removed for guides. We rolled rear section from stationary frt section of tractor.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520?
Got everything apart and the friction disk was down to the rivets with a warped pressure plate. Jack system worked like a charm. Thanks for the replies!
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #16  
Great progress and great photos! Thanks for sharing.

It looks like you put plugs on some of the hydraulic lines.

Let us know how hard it is to put back together. Hope it goes smoothly.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #17  
Oh, and since we have a 5420, I have turbo envy.

Double check your parking pawl for it to be in good shape before you go back together. That is, if you have power reverser tranny.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #18  
Congratulations on split & very nice photos. Will your tractors flywheel tolerate resurfacing? The clutches with metal pads are good clutches but really exert wear on pressure plates & engine flywheels.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520?
Congratulations on split & very nice photos. Will your tractors flywheel tolerate resurfacing? The clutches with metal pads are good clutches but really exert wear on pressure plates & engine flywheels.
Luckily the pto friction disk was good and the flywheel was smooth and flat. I am replacing the pto disk while I'm in there. Guess it makes sense, the traction disk is always in use but the pto disk isn't.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #20  
Flywheel being smooth surprises me.