Anybody ever split a 5520?

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #1  

fritz423b

Tractor
JD 5520
Howdy, I posted the chewbacca clutch question now I have committed to splitting the tractor and repairing/replacing the clutch.

Anyone have an idea how to jack up the engine on this tractor? There are no bolt holes on the rear sides of the engine, there is only a 1" lip on the edge of the clutch housing on the bottom. The rest of the bottom rear is oil pan. The manual would have you attach hoists to the top of the engine but my shop isn't set up for that.

We'll figure something out but the design seems silly. We'll probably have to balance the front on a single bottle jack and roll the rear backwards. Help!

/ Anybody ever split a 5520?
IMG_1530.jpg

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #3  
Some more pictures a bit further away, and some suggestions will be easier to provide.

Likely will need to make some rigging with wheels and legs to hold the front and the rear parts of the tractor.

No need to call it a "silly design", it is what it is. Now you have to adapt to what it is and move forward to get the job done. It's possible.

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #4  
One way to support the engine is to fabricate some stands to support the rails of the oil pan. Use the bolts of the pan to secure it in place.

I split a 5520 a few years ago, but I think I may have used my splitting stands made for Ford tractors

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #5  
I agree with a two points of contact stand. If you do use just a bottle jack to support the rear of the engine, put a block of wood to interrupt the slide of metal on metal. Also, in this same scenario, a couple wedges placed at the limit blocks of the front end pivots will keep the front of the tractor from possibly falling to one side.

Jes

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #6  
The local mobile tractor mechanic uses an 8'L X 1' W rail track made of angle iron. The fixed jack is at 1 end and supports the stationary 1/2 of the tractor (use a wood block on the jack as steel to steel slides to easily) The second jack is mounted on a small 4 wheeled carriage and runs along the angle iron rail track. 8' is long enough to work between both halves and still easy to pack away.
NOTE: wedge both side of the front axle to stop the engine from flopping over, or you risk falling of the jack.
On mechanical gear box MF you can egage the pto and rotate the pto to help line up the gearbox input shaft splines with the clutch when rejoining the tractor. It may work with a JD. (does not work with a power shift type gearbox)
Good Luck

/ Anybody ever split a 5520?
I built a stand based on the Western Truck and Tractor Repair guy's stand on YouTube. For the rear I am using two pieces of angle iron. Here the rolling jack is being tested, obviously it will be placed under the clutch housing. And yes, safety stand everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 136
   / Anybody ever split a 5520? #8  
I recently split a 5220 which is the same tractor minus one cylinder. I fabbed a rolling stand using 20k machine skates and attached a bottle jack with a saddle and attached 4x4 block of wood. I picked up the front half with the 4x4 on the back edge of the oil pan up against that lip on the block that bolts to the clutch housing. Worked great zero damage to oil pan.

The Deere shop manual specifies a gantry crane/sliding shuttle/chainfall setup using a nylon lifting strap.

I have a set of Hilman rollers that I use for other equipment. The swivel tops come off and I bolted them to a steel frame for the rolling stand. Worked fantastic. They're high dollar but I understand there's chicom knock offs available now for cheap
1673033557060.png

/ Anybody ever split a 5520? #9  
And to assist with putting everything together use a come- along lightly !

Last edited:
   / Anybody ever split a 5520? #10  
And to assist whit putting everything together use a come along lightly !
If your splitting apparatus has rollers and you install dowel bolts, a tractor of this size can easily be pushed together.