JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #1  

fritz423b

Tractor
JD 5520
For the last few years had a noise coming from rear of JD 5520 when releasing clutch (clutch pedal up.) It is a groaning noise that stops once the tractor comes up to speed. Any gear, doesn't happen in neutral. No noise when clutch is depressed. Clutch works fine, but tends to engage quickly and doesn't seem to have a happy spot where I can ease it up without jerking.

The noise is best described as a Chewbacca sound. Maybe dragging a heavy anchor across the steel deck of a ship. I don't want to split my tractor or pay the shop if I don't have to.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #2  
Adj your clutchpedalfreetravel to get that happy spot with 40mm of freetravel.
Start your PTO at idle and not full revs

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
I've adjusted the pedal according to the manual. I'm not engaging the PTO when this occurs.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #4  
Freetravel on the PTO lever ?

Last edited:
   / JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #5  
Which transmission does your 5520 have? I see three types: collar, syncro, & pwr reverser. All have a main clutch, the last two also have some additional automatic clutches for syncro and reversing. If your has the power shuttle (reverser) does it do it when F/R shuttling? Or just when using the foot clutch?

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
It's got the power reverser. The sound only occurs when letting off the foot clutch.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #7  
OK. Glad it's got the power reverser - I never did like the manual style. I was thinking it could be the internal clutch pacs for the power reverser since that is how they work.... and sometimes they will be sensitive to a particular type of trans/hydraulic fluid...

But only happening with the foot clutch shoots down that idea.
What else could it be that isn't the main engine/transmission foot clutch? The noise you describe sounds like a friction surface against metal.
That only leaves the foot brakes, emergency hand brake, and a PTO brake - if it has one. Any chance any of those could be missing a return spring?

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
Interesting thought. I don't think that's it but I will check.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #9  
Check to be sure brakes aren’t dragging. Does it coast easily in neutral on slight incline? Problem will not be dry clutch mounted in flywheel. On power reverser, that clutch is for pto only. Does it make noise in forward and reverse?

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
I missed the last reply. I still have the issue and was planning on using the off season to fix it. The sound occurs when letting off foot clutch while in gear. Doesn't matter which range or gear, forward or reverse. PTO works fine and makes no noise.