JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
Possibly a related issue: after running awhile foot brake stopping power is reduced and a similar noise occurs independent of foot clutch.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
I'm inclined to remove a final drive and inspect the brakes first.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #13  
Check to be sure brakes aren’t dragging. Does it coast easily in neutral on slight incline? Problem will not be dry clutch mounted in flywheel. On power reverser, that clutch is for pto only. Does it make noise in forward and reverse?
jd110
Can you please explain how this model with PR trans transmits power from flywheel to trans input shaft. I've searched 5520 parts & being unfamiliar with this model I can't locate this item. I agree clutch in link photo below is listed as the pto clutch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 055330.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 055330.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 74
   / JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
We removed the final drives and replaced the brake discs and retractor springs last week. Brakes now working great but the problem continues.

To summarize: from standing still when you let off the clutch there is a load groan that seems to come from under the seat (but could be transmitted back from the clutch.) The tractor jerks forward, you can't ease it in smoothly. Clutch doesn't slip, no noise when clutch pushed in and once you get up to speed no issues.

I really hope I can get some feedback! Next step is to split the tractor and look at the clutch.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #15  
I've been following this from the beginning, not because I know anything about this transmission, more because I thought I might learn something.

After looking through some of the parts diagrams, it seems I know even less about it than I thought I did. This is a power reverser transmission, right? It has a mechanical directional control valve, operated with a lever and two cables? The clutch pedal controls an inching spool within that control valve, and there are no electronic components involved at all? That sounds like a carryover from 1980's technology, the sort of thing I remember from the first wet clutch pack tractors I ever worked on.

If that is indeed the case, I must assume you have looked at all the external parts of that package and found nothing suspicious? I wonder is the noise only present in forward and not in reverse?

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
I've been following this from the beginning, not because I know anything about this transmission, more because I thought I might learn something.

After looking through some of the parts diagrams, it seems I know even less about it than I thought I did. This is a power reverser transmission, right? It has a mechanical directional control valve, operated with a lever and two cables? The clutch pedal controls an inching spool within that control valve, and there are no electronic components involved at all? That sounds like a carryover from 1980's technology, the sort of thing I remember from the first wet clutch pack tractors I ever worked on.

If that is indeed the case, I must assume you have looked at all the external parts of that package and found nothing suspicious? I wonder is the noise only present in forward and not in reverse?
No. It is a syncshuttle, not a power reverser.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
It's got the power reverser. The sound only occurs when letting off the foot clutch.
I don't know what I was thinking when I stated this. It is a syncshuttle transmission.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #18  
Well you realize that makes a great deal of difference for anyone trying to imagine what might be going on.

In that case, then by all means, split the tractor. I've heard a similar sound many times with dry clutch button disc plates. I believe it's occurs when the buttons wear down to a point where the metal jacket around and behind the buttons come into contact with the pressure plates. The sound comes while the disc and pressure plates are turning at different speeds, and disappears once the clutch is fully engaged. In this case the plate in question is the trapped disc, so you won't see it unless you dismantle the clutch assembly after removal.

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan" #19  
Brakes...essemble the finaldrives with everything exept the gasket .tie up everything...then remove finaldrives and install again with the gasket ...then brakes will be ok !

/ JD 5520 "Clutch Groan"
Brakes...essemble the finaldrives with everything exept the gasket .tie up everything...then remove finaldrives and install again with the gasket ...then brakes will be ok !
Brakes are fine, just replaced them last week.