Anybody built a Tiny House?

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
We converted my old office into a room for guests. This room is about 300 feet from our house so it will give any guests real privacy. The room is about 180 square feet. It is nice and we had our first guests stay in it for the last few days. They really liked it. The only drawback is no bathroom. Since the room is quite close to my shop guests can use my shop bathroom because there is a door to the outside from my shop bathroom. And even though the bathroom has a shower it is still a machine shop bathroom that has been used for twenty years.
Anyway, I want to add a bathroom. Since the room is quite close to a water supply and the septic tank it will be pretty easy to plumb the bathroom into the appropriate pipes. What I really need is some bathroom plans. I have been looking online and haven't really found plans. I have seen a couple but I was hoping there might be someone publishing a catalog of plans.
I am a retired machinist and though I can do a good job wiring and plumbing I know nothing about building. So some plans that are close enough to what I want that I can then modify if need be and show to a builder would be ideal. The amount of space that I have to work with is about 4 by 10 feet. This space restriction comes from the length of a wall and the proximity of the room to my shop.
I have seen pictures of bathrooms and read suggestions about designing a bathroom but what I would really like are some plans that I can manipulate some. I will be having someone build the bathroom because I don't know **** about building buildings and because of the fact that both of my wrists are bone on bone joints. But I do need to have plans of some sort to direct the people who end up building the bathroom.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #2  
Bathroom or washroom? Looking for just a sink and a toilet or trying to fit a shower or tub, too?

I designed our whole house with a home designer software. This is the company.

Our builder was able to just upload the file and make minor adjustments.

/ Anybody built a Tiny House?
Bathroom or washroom? Looking for just a sink and a toilet or trying to fit a shower or tub, too?

I designed our whole house with a home designer software. This is the company.

Our builder was able to just upload the file and make minor adjustments.
Shower, sink, toilet. I'm hoping to find some sample plans, I don't want to start from complete scratch. I really want plans that have been tested. I could draw up stuff with my Cad/Cam software but I don't want to. I need advice so that I can avoid mistakes that I would surely make. I am good at designing machine parts for novel situations and have more than once designed complete and complex products that are still sold today. But I need help for this.
Eric

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #4  
Yes, we have and live in a 'tiny house' ....well, basically 2 of 'em put together like a doublewide. It's just under 600 sq ft.
Full eat-in kitchen, full laundry room, bedroom w/ walk in closet, living room, full bathroom.

The bathroom is 5' x 7' and is more than ample. Sink, full tub, real toilet (real plumbing to septic not a composter)

Tub across the 5' width, sink and toilet opposite 5' wall. Barn door in the middle.

I was trying to attach the drawing I have, if you want, I can retake a screenshot tomorrow.

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #5  
Found a copy of the tiny house.... it shows the bathroom layout

IMG_0381.jpeg

/ Anybody built a Tiny House?
Yes, we have and live in a 'tiny house' ....well, basically 2 of 'em put together like a doublewide. It's just under 600 sq ft.
Full eat-in kitchen, full laundry room, bedroom w/ walk in closet, living room, full bathroom.

The bathroom is 5' x 7' and is more than ample. Sink, full tub, real toilet (real plumbing to septic not a composter)

Tub across the 5' width, sink and toilet opposite 5' wall. Barn door in the middle.

I was trying to attach the drawing I have, if you want, I can retake a screenshot tomorrow.
That would be great. Thanks.
Eric

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #7  
I'd like to know what a minimum use septic tank and field is required. As in 'Emergency Use' or maybe women coming here to buy hay or barn sale visitors who need privacy.
Bare minimu and with heat to prevent freezing in winter. I have water in the room I'd use, so what plumbing below the concrete floor?

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #8  
Squeezed 3/4 bath in the upstairs off the master bedroom of a small 24x30 cape cod style cabin I built, used a smaller shower and small apt studio style sink/vanity used RV type nautilus brand retractable shower door, full size toilet. Very functional and it's our own bathroom when we have company. Unfortunately Pics, dimensions, and my drawings/plans are 500 miles away. I can say the retractable shower door and small vanity/ sink made it functional in such a limited space with a sloped ceiling and no dormers.

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #9  
So some plans that are close enough to what I want that I can then modify if need be and show to a builder would be ideal. The amount of space that I have to work with is about 4 by 10 feet. This space restriction comes from the length of a wall and the proximity of the room to my shop.
I've built several what might be considered "tiny" houses. Not sure of the exact definition of that. Anyway, 4x10 is plenty of room for a bathroom. I'd probably even be including a closet in that space. Unless the plans are just for your own satisfaction, you really don't need anything beyond a simple hand drawn diagram on a blank sheet of paper. I didn't even have that for most of the bathrooms I've built or remodeled. Usually it's just verbal. "Shower in this corner, toilet here, sink here" is about as complicated as it needs to be.

/ Anybody built a Tiny House? #10  
Standard sizes for depths of you have a 4' wide room is 30" for toilet and most big box store bathroom vanities have a depth of 20" or so shower sizes and styles are all over the place. If you go online you can find actual dimensions and make a plan. In my experiences building a tiny bathroom I used slightly smaller than the average sizes on sink, toilet, and shower. Me anyway, I'd make sure you know where the toilet is going for the mounting/ closet flange and shower which is a little more difficult to move your rough plumbing if you screw up and need to. Your going to need to vent shower, toilet, and sink also. Maybe consider hiring a plumber for roughing everything in if they'll work with you? If computers aren't your thing like for me you can get graph paper, a architects/ engineer rule and design template with all your bathrooms amenities to scale or that's what I did, and they are inexpensive.