Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #11  
Add me to this list. I was using my 4710 And MX-6 cutting nothing more then tall field grass and heard the RPM shoot up. Yanked the tractor to idle, looked behind me and saw the stump pan and blades lying behind me. The main shaft sheared right in two. Clutch discs were fine and not frozen. I assumed I could replace one or both of the planetary gears in the gearbox but found that was not to be. Seems John Deere changed the ENTIRE setup on this mower and now you can only buy complete replacement gearbox on down. Cost about $1600. Gee......I wonder why John Deere changed the entire gearbox if they had no problems with the old style??

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure
Add me to this list. I was using my 4710 And MX-6 cutting nothing more then tall field grass and heard the RPM shoot up. Yanked the tractor to idle, looked behind me and saw the stump pan and blades lying behind me. The main shaft sheared right in two. Clutch discs were fine and not frozen. I assumed I could replace one or both of the planetary gears in the gearbox but found that was not to be. Seems John Deere changed the ENTIRE setup on this mower and now you can only buy complete replacement gearbox on down. Cost about $1600. Gee......I wonder why John Deere changed the entire gearbox if they had no problems with the old style??

Sorry to hear that. It took some pressure and a letter and a couple phone calls to the dealer and the John Deere Main Office, but the dealer DID (after several months and the purchase of another Bush Hog), finally end up fixing the Bush Hog without charge in my case. They never admitted it was faulty, and passed it off to "good customer relations".
You didn't mention how old yours was... If it's not too old it would probably be worth a shot. Whether they want to admit a defect or not, it will cost them more than the cost of repair to meet you in court...

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #13  
These are a black eye for JD....... too bad they aren't just making everyone whole who has had one break. I saw another one on CL recently, same deal. It was otherwise in great condition, and the seller was only asking $300...... but with the price of a new gearbox.......... :confused2:

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #14  
I bought my tractor and implements in 2004 and this happened Summer of 2010. Six year old brush hog should not be breaking like that. Especially when you add up the total number of hours the unit operated. I don't know an exact number but to cut my field twice a year for six years plus some miscellaneous extra cutting does not add up to more then 100 to 150 hours. Let's be crazy and say 300 hours TOPS.....at more then $3000 purchase price that's a lot of $$ per hour for a dead and worthless piece of equipment. I asked once at my dealership but reading these posts gives me some new motivation to start again. Does anybody have any stats on how many units we know about here on TByNet?

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #16  
Man i just found this thread. My friend and i had this exact problem. We were mowing a food plot of clover and the tractor sounded different so we stopped and walked behind the tractor only to find the blades. Apparently the shaft broke and took over $1000 to repair it. Cutter only had about 70 hours on it but since it was just over 5 years old they would not warrenty it. The funny thing is we only mow grass and light brush with it. Hopefully the new parts are better than the original ones.

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #17  
   / Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #18  
   / Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #19  
I wonder when someone is going to bring a class action suit against them. I have one but it not broke yet.