Adding power steering and power beyond question.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #11  
Tandem pumps are expensive. of course you can make adaprter plates and shaft connectors to run anything to anything, but why not just put a 15 gallon/minute accessory pump on the PTO shaft and run the whole tractor from it?
I'm afraid you will find that you need to have to have an adjustable divider. It also needs to have a dedicated relief valve.

I still think you are overthinking. People worked for many decades with power steering that wasn't expected to work well at low RPMs. It's really not as much of a problem as it is being made out to be. Some of the midrange priced cars when PS first came out had that problem at low RPMs. It made parking tricky sometimes.....

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #12  
That tandem pump sounds like a great idea if you can fit it.

My little YM186D has the optional power steering from some vendor no longer in business. Steering works down to near zero rpm but the loader and 3-point are dead below 1,000 rpm. And are slow at that RPM. This is a nuisance.

In particular backing up on rough ground to get rear forks under a pallet, or to align the quick hitch to a parked implement. You want slow ground speed and quick 3-point height adjustment but the engine has to be well above slow idle to control the 3-point.

Front loader similar, ram into a gravel pile and as the engine slows you can't lift or curl the bucket.

Power steering is great but the more limited hydraulic function is a noticeable compromise.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #13  
If it was me, I would simply add another pump, either belt driven or crankshaft driven (mounted right in front of the engine). Sure it will require some more fabrication and (maybe) an extra reservoir but it would always have steering and loader functions. Another solution could be using one of those power steering pumps with the reservoir built in from a vehicle of some sort.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question.
If it was me, I would simply add another pump, either belt driven or crankshaft driven (mounted right in front of the engine). Sure it will require some more fabrication and (maybe) an extra reservoir but it would always have steering and loader functions. Another solution could be using one of those power steering pumps with the reservoir built in from a vehicle of some sort.
My first inclination was to use a power steering pump from a car. I even got myself a pump. The problem was driving the pump. There is no easy was on my tractor to take power from the engine to power a pump. A big reason is because of the front end loader. The mounting structure is in the way. There is a special pulley on the front of the engine made for connecting something. I am not sure what though. In any case the space in front of the pulley is blocked. I am sure I am over thinking the whole business. It's just that I want the power steering installed and I don't want to have to do things over. To install the cylinder and associated hardware I will need to take stuff apart. And, of course, the tractor will be unusable until the installation is done.
Eric

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #15  
Some mid 80s vintage US Yanmars ran the FEL or accessory hydraulics via a small pump driven by a shaft that extended forward from the front of the crankshaft pulley. Connection was by a flexible shaft to shaft connector. You might look to see if your crankshaft pulley has a couple of threaded mounting holes in the front face.

The Yanmar pump used was about 5 GPM and was mounted in line with the crankshaft. Of course any type of pump could be used. An automotive one would be overkill, but why not?

We had a Yanmar with loader and manual steering for 35 years. Power steering would have been so nice I would not have cared what compromises it caused. As it was, I would lower the bucket to the ground, lift the front, turn the wheels, and repeat. I'm sure you know the drill.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #16  
The only 4410 I could find was a Deere that has a Yanmar engine. But all the pumps I found for that engine are not tandem. And, since my tractor is 20 years older I wonder if it would fit anyway if I could find one. Let's hope I don't need one.
Eric
John Deere uses almost exclusively Yanmar engines in their compacts, subcompacts and self propelled mowers etc. I'll bet the tandem pump in my 4410 is a John Deere only part.

Some mid 80s vintage US Yanmars ran the FEL or accessory hydraulics via a small pump driven by a shaft that extended forward from the front of the crankshaft pulley. Connection was by a flexible shaft to shaft connector. You might look to see if your crankshaft pulley has a couple of threaded mounting holes in the front face.

The Yanmar pump used was about 5 GPM and was mounted in line with the crankshaft. Of course any type of pump could be used. An automotive one would be overkill, but why not?

We had a Yanmar with loader and manual steering for 35 years. Power steering would have been so nice I would not have cared what compromises it caused. As it was, I would lower the bucket to the ground, lift the front, turn the wheels, and repeat. I'm sure you know the drill.
Do you have a picture of this setup? Or do you know where I might find one? My tractor does have a weird front pulley. I believe it has two tapped holes. It is very hard to see the front of the pulley so I can't say for sure. From what I can see and feel there are two bosses and these appear to be tapped.
Eric

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #18  
The Yanmar-US YM240 Parts manual shows a front PTO option that is a raised battery platform and a shaft with bearings. Here's the thread where it was discussed. Maybe fabricate something similar?

frontpto-gif.65332

The Yanmar-US YM240 Parts manual shows a front PTO option that is a raised battery platform and a shaft with bearings. Here's the thread where it was discussed. Maybe fabricate something similar?

frontpto-gif.65332
Thanks for posting this info and the link. I never thought about raising the battery platform. The power steering pump I got some time ago is from a Honda car, I think a Civic. It rotates in the direction opposite to most power steering pumps. This means that it could be driven from the end of the engine and facing the engine. Now I'm really pumped (get it? pumped? yeah, bad joke, I know) about using that power steering pump again. Time to take a look at the front of my YM2310 again to see if this could work. If I can make this work it might mess up my plans a little though because adding the power steering pump may involve fabricating parts that require machine work and welding. As I started getting all the things together to put power steering on my tractor I decided to try to use stuff that would make it possible for someone to do the conversion with only a 1/2 inch drill motor or a drill press. I have been taking pictures and I have a list of parts purchased so I can post the whole mess here. And a big bonus is that the original drag link is kept as a spare part instead of modifying it like the original instructions say to do. This way if the power steering unit fails it can be removed and the old drag link put back in place.
Eric

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #20  
A couple of pictures of how the front pump was setup on a David Brown that I had for a while.

The shiny bolts at the bottom of the radiator in this picture are where the driveshaft was bolted to the crank pulley:
IMG_20191013_202440554.jpg

Overall view of the pump in place:
IMG_20191102_172254652.jpg

The misalignment coupling on the pump:
IMG_20191019_211906251.jpg

Thought I had one of the pump driveshaft, but I dont see it.
IIRC the flange that bolted to the crank pulley looked sort of like this: McMaster-Carr
9684T1_87f66d1e-cf81-4d2f-920e-e6bf31561979@1x_638115443196754730.png

Aaron Z