Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks?

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
About to order some weld on grab hooks for front bucket for B21. 54 inches wide or so.

Was going to put 2 hooks a few inches in from each end, but have seen some with 3, one in middle.

Any real reason to put a middle one in?

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #4  
yes, I would do the same as RjCorazza one on each end and one in the middle... If you want to lift something and keep it stable, you will want to use the two on the side and if you want to pull something then you would use the one in the middle.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #5  
I did three on mine, as well. Two on ends are used with a 10' loop of 5/16" choker chain for lifting whole logs, or when my approach to something that needs to come from one side or the other. The one in the middle is used for pretty much everything else.

You could run a slack chain between the two side hooks, if you were lacking a middle hook, but it multiplies the side force on the side hooks, by the angle of your dangle.

Don't laugh at my welds, these were done blind with flux core, before I had my MIG set up with proper gas.

IMG_1141.JPG

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #6  
The largest wire my mig will run is .035. Is this big enough to do hooks on a bucket? Sorry to hijack the thread…. But I need to do hooks this winter on the new bucket.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #7  
I did three on mine, as well. Two on ends are used with a 10' loop of 5/16" choker chain for lifting whole logs, or when my approach to something that needs to come from one side or the other. The one in the middle is used for pretty much everything else.

You could run a slack chain between the two side hooks, if you were lacking a middle hook, but it multiplies the side force on the side hooks, by the angle of your dangle.

Don't laugh at my welds, these were done blind with flux core, before I had my MIG set up with proper gas.

View attachment 767661
Your weld are not bad at all nothing wrong with that.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #8  
The largest wire my mig set will run is .035. Is this big enough to do hooks on a bucket? Sorry to hijack the thread…. But I need to do hooks this winter on the new bucket.
I don't see why not, just take you time and make multiple beads

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #9  
I have one on each side in line with the hydraulic rams. At times I do think about adding a third in the center, just never got around to it.