A good quality Log Splitter

/ A good quality Log Splitter #111  
Generac Acquires Country Home Products[/QUOTE]

I purchased a one year old DR Pro-XL (K-34) in 2013.

At that time, DR customer service was top notch. You would get a warm body when you called immediately. I had called regarding a couple things...updating the registration and I had an issue with the muffler as it wasn稚 supported properly and broke. They redesigned it to fix the problem.

There is a piece in the engagement linkage that I replaced once for around $35 a few years back. The piece just bent again this spring. DR has since redesigned this piece to (hopefully) solve the issue.

Unfortunately, the customer service is now terrible following their sale to Generac. You end up on hold for 30-40 minutes every time you call and the folks who answer, while courteous, do not have the knowledge that the folks in Vermont had. Also, I discovered that I needed to purchase additional hardware to install the updated arm?

I have put 300-350 face cord through it so it has some miles on it. Key is, when the linkage is not adjusted properly, do not try to run or you will strip the rack/pinion. I have not had issues with either.

Last edited:
   / A good quality Log Splitter #112  
Generac Acquires Country Home Products

I purchased a one year old DR Pro-XL (K-34) in 2013.

At that time, DR customer service was top notch. You would get a warm body when you called immediately. I had called regarding a couple things...updating the registration and I had an issue with the muffler as it wasn稚 supported properly and broke. They redesigned it to fix the problem.

There is a piece in the engagement linkage that I replaced once for around $35 a few years back. The piece just bent again this spring. DR has since redesigned this piece to (hopefully) solve the issue.

Unfortunately, the customer service is now terrible following their sale to Generac. You end up on hold for 30-40 minutes every time you call and the folks who answer, while courteous, do not have the knowledge that the folks in Vermont had. Also, I discovered that I needed to purchase additional hardware to install the updated arm?

I have put 300-350 face cord through it so it has some miles on it. Key is, when the linkage is not adjusted properly, do not try to run or you will strip the rack/pinion. I have not had issues with either.

I live not far from where their factory store used to be (it was shut down shortly after Generac bought them). Sadly, a lot of their items suffered from issues with poor design (enough so that most locals would not buy their products even when customer returns were refurbished and deeply discounted). Their one saving grace was that they always stood behind their products and provided great customer service. You might have a problem, but the would make it right to the best of their ability.

Last edited:
   / A good quality Log Splitter #113  
We have a DR Power K55 Kinetic purchased in 2014. Wanted to buy a SuperSplit but they never answered my phone calls despite being local. DR was closing their factory store in NH and I arrived on their last open weekend. It was pouring rain and they had a floor model at a crazy great price so into the van it went.

Engine is a Chonda and to my astonishment started first pull after sitting in the shed for 9 months. We use no-Ethanol fuel.

Recently the bearing that holds the rack gear down on the pinion broke. Purchased a replacement from McMaster for $36. Also discovered I was supposed to be greasing the engagement arm bearing and pinion every 10 hours of use. Oops.

Attachments

• CE796BD9-D599-460B-8B33-DB5BB25A5D2A.jpeg
    CE796BD9-D599-460B-8B33-DB5BB25A5D2A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
   / A good quality Log Splitter #114  
Garandman - It sounds as though you have had good luck with your DR Kinetic splitter.

They did have some serious reliability problems when they first came out with them. Their first model so closely copied SuperSplit in appearance that I actually called to inquire if it was a rebadged SuperSplit (It wasn't. SuperSplit's patent or copy right protection had just expired.) They had probems with the rack & pinion gears with that, and with the early years of their subsequent models. People suspected poor quality steel and/or poor heat treating, but they seemed to have worked that out after a bit. I don't hear near the complaints about them that I used to.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #115  
Garandman - It sounds as though you have had good luck with your DR Kinetic splitter.

They did have some serious reliability problems when they first came out with them.
When was that? Bought ours in 2014. We have a very old DR brush mower we've kept due to the excellent Kawasaki engine.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #116  
When was that? Bought ours in 2014. We have a very old DR brush mower we've kept due to the excellent Kawasaki engine.
I don't really recall the years. The first ones that looked exactly like the SuperSplit models of that time had real problems, which extended into the first couple of years of production of their newer looking models. I don't really recall when that was.

The Speeco kinetic splitters sold by Tractor Supply around the same time had similar problems. Some would last Ok, others would start breaking teeth on their rack or pinion gears after just a few cords run through them. I believe Speeco stopped making them.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #117  
Looking at the parts diagram, the SuperSplit has two bearings with a support in the center. The DR has one full-width bearing.

There are quite a few other differences: two return springs, safety interlock handles, etc.

All industry-standard stuff, any industrial supply or bearing supply shop should have them.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #118  
I got my log splitter from Sears about 50 years ago. It is now mounted on its third tractor. Three-point hitch. Runs off the tractor hydraulics. Slow, but I'll be 91 in a couple weeks and I'm in no hurry.