A gift for your angle grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / A gift for your angle grinder #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Some angle grinder attachments include "the nut" such as a wire brush cup. Others (like thin cutoff wheels) require the 5/8-11 fittings. So when you remove the fittings, and the 'nut' where do you set them?

I usually set 'em somewhere then knock them off the table. Because I'm grinding I don't hear them tinkle deep down into the scrap pile :mad:.

I welded a 5/8-11 thread stub to a 5/16-18 bolt, to act as a holder for the fittings. It screws into the handle hole (I never use the handle on a 4 1/2" grinder). But anyway it's pretty easy to make with a MIG. And Mudd, it's not likely to cut parts loose on the freeway! Newbies could do this, and be successful (even if their welds never pass xray tests :D ). Some guys "could" do it with stick, and of course James would TIG it :D.

This part could be molded out of plastic and would sell well, I think. MFRs should have moulded this thread stub into the grinder's plastic housing somewhere.

Milw_ftg1.JPG

Milw_ftg2.JPG

Milw_ftg3.JPG

Last edited:
   / A gift for your angle grinder #2  
I like it :thumbsup:

/ A gift for your angle grinder #3  
Genius! Soon to be copied for all of my grinders. Thanks.

SimS

/ A gift for your angle grinder
Glad you guys like it. For DeWalt angle grinders you need an M8-1.25 bolt, and of course the 5/8-11 side is standard for all.

/ A gift for your angle grinder #7  
Sodo - is there a particular reason you like opening threads with insults and half- insults directed at other members?

/ A gift for your angle grinder #8  
I prefer to keep my grinder fittings in a top drawer of my tool box right next to the wrenches needed to take them off. Having the washer/nut is of no use without a wrench, so both stay together in the drawer so they are easy to find. I think with vibration of grinding the nut would likely find it way off the bolt and be lost anyway unless it is tightened with the wrench. JMO
NOTE: I almost always use the handle on my grinders unless I cant get it into a tight spot with it on. MUCH SAFER that way. Even 4" grinders have a pretty big kickback when the blade/brush binds.

/ A gift for your angle grinder
Sodo - is there a particular reason you like opening threads with insults and half- insults directed at other members?

Well I may be a little defensive due to all the full-frontal insults as of late. It will pass I guess/hope once 120v becomes legal. If I insulted you Dave it was certainly un-intended! Sorry!

If you think James TIG is an insult - honestly just fun there, even though he's been grumpy with me. I was expecting a friendly reply like "you're right I'd TIG that". Mudd,,,,, well he's being a grump to my every post.

Dave, since you asked,,,,, I respect your replies but If you would like to make a change I think you had more than a few opportunities to ask those guys to cut it out before taking it up with me.

Back to welding?

Gary I can't remember the last time I used the wrench on those fittings I just tighten/loosen by hand. It sure doesnt seem like they will rattle off the holder.

Last edited:
   / A gift for your angle grinder #10  
That's a fantastic idea there. I seem to lose things to my grinder as well.

Though what I really lose the most is my wrench to my grinder and have had to use a pair of channel locks to change the disk. Then as I set the channel locks down on the work bench I spot my grinder wrench. lol

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Bobcat 331 Mini Excavator (A34033)
Bobcat 331 Mini...
1984 Ag- Chem 1603 Liquid Terragator (A33113)
1984 Ag- Chem 1603...
2017 Freightliner Landscape Terex XTPRO56 Bucket Truck (A33249)
2017 Freightliner...
RANSOMES FRONTLINE 728D 72" MOWER, DIESEL ENG (A34808)
RANSOMES FRONTLINE...
2011 Prostar+ 113 6x4 (A34573)
2011 Prostar+ 113...
Sany 24" Bucket for Excavator SY75/SY80/SY95 and Backhoe SLB95 (A34573)
Sany 24" Bucket...