58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #161  
Yeah, I can see and understand that concern, but I'm not really worried. In the cities, there's simply not enough roof space, so all of the major population centers will remain dependent on the grid and utility-scale power generation.

Additionally, anyone who has driven an EV knows they will inevitably dominate the market simply because they are a better product. (Many will disagree with me about that, and I can predict with certainty that those who disagree most loudly will turn out to have no experience with EVs.)

Well that maybe true, but you don't have to fall off of the top of three story building to know that hitting the ground will hurt.

That means demand for electricity is likely to increase rather than decrease. The increase will be mostly in off-peak times, so initially it won't require scaling up production or beefing up the grid, but eventually demand will outstrip supply in urban & suburban areas.

If more of the grid electricity comes from utility-scale solar farms or windmills, that will simply lower the cost, because solar and wind are already cheaper than any fossil fuel.

Rating's from the: US NREL (US National Renewable Energy Laboratory)

Natural gas $922–2,630 per KW
Wind power $1,462 per KW
Solar photovoltaic $1,333-2,743 per KW

Hydro is still cheapest. Nuclear is more expensive, but probably necessary because the sun doesn't shine at night and sometimes the wind stop blowing.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #162  
You are correct that I said: "encouraging the development of alternatives can only increase our freedom."

How you interpreted that to mean "you would like to trade global oil companies for authoritarian tech companies." is beyond me.

I'm happy to have a spirited debate, but please disagree with what I actually said rather than something you made up.

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #163  
How will close sourced software designed by giant tech corporations increase your freedom? These companies have already proven by past behavior they care zero about your freedom and will do anything they can to mine your data and attempt to influence society. I would say that the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. First thing I do when I get a new PC/laptop is wipe windos and install Linux, first thing I dowhen I get a new router is wipe the OS and install OpenWrt first thing I do when I get a new cell phone is wipe the OS and install a custom ROM with no Google spyware tracking apps. Give me a electric car that will let me anonymously travel and I may not be against the technology.
Chuckle! I run linux for my development work and use a rooted android. I use ddwrt instead of openwrt, but we're in the same ballpark there. You're preaching to the choir. (Although I have to admit that I often use Ubuntu for our company servers, which gets a tech company involved, and I am on a windows box right now because I have to support customers who use that platform.)

You may also recall that several posts back, I suggested that if you have this concern about EVs, you can just disconnect the antenna, as I have done in my two EVS. So yes, my EVs travel anonymously.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #164  
You are correct that I said: "encouraging the development of alternatives can only increase our freedom."

How you interpreted that to mean "you would like to trade global oil companies for authoritarian tech companies." is beyond me.

I'm happy to have a spirted debate, but please disagree with what I actually said rather than something you made up.
Is the software in your car open sourced? Can you edit the code? Exactly what I thought. Your "freedom" is 100% reliant on giant tech companies. Diesel/petro is freedom you can carry in a freaking can. I can put it in a fuel tank and drive to where ever the frick I want and no one can say or do anything about it. I'm not geo tracked the entire way. Hopefully you dont say the wrong thing on tweeter and anger the tech gods enough to shut your car off.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #165  
Chuckle! I run linux for my development work and use a rooted android. I use ddwrt instead of openwrt, but we're in the same ballpark there. You're preaching to the choir. (Although I have to admit that I often use Ubuntu for our company servers, which gets a tech company involved, and I am on a windows box right now because I have to support customers who use that platform.)

You may also recall that several posts back, I suggested that if you have this concern about EVs, you can just disconnect the antenna, as I have done in my two EVS. So yes, my EVs travel anonymously.
Have not used windows in 20 years except of a single old netbook with nothing but autoenginuity on it that I use for my 7.3 powerstroke. I run Gentoo on everything. OpenWrt is my access point and OPNsense on a old dual core atom is my router/firewall. Just disconnect the antenna LMAO ok

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #166  
Well that maybe true, but you don't have to fall off of the top of three story building to know that hitting the ground will hurt.
I'm guessing you know this because at some point in your life, you fell. You might have even fallen from a higher point and realized it hurt more. Then, being a smart person, you drew some reasonable conclusions.

Or maybe you were born with this knowledge... I'm imperfect, so I learn from my experience and from observing the experience of others.

I observed that EV drivers were happy. I observed that the people who don't like EVs have rarely tried them. So I tried one, and three years later, I bought a second EV.

When you've got some experience with an EV, I'll take you seriously.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #167  
Have not used windows in 20 years except of a single old netbook with nothing but autoenginuity on it that I use for my 7.3 powerstroke. I run Gentoo on everything. OpenWrt is my access point and OPNsense on a old dual core atom is my router/firewall. Just disconnect the antenna LMAO ok
OK, I get it, you've got serious geek cred! Should have tossed an arduino reference in there just to be complete! <grin>

Seriously, though, explain to me how I'm being tracked in a car with the network antenna disconnected.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #168  
Look up "the find" (which is over 20 years old now) tracking. if you think you are defeating big tech by disconnecting a antenna I have a alexa to sell you.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #169  

Rating's from the: US NREL (US National Renewable Energy Laboratory)

Natural gas $922–2,630 per KW
Wind power $1,462 per KW
Solar photovoltaic $1,333-2,743 per KW
Those numbers you're quoting don't make sense in this context. kW is a measurement of power generation capacity.

If you're measuring the cost of energy, the unit is kWh (or MWh if you're going big.) When you pay your electric bill, they are billing you for the number of kilowatt hours you've used. When you operate an electric car, your mileage is measured in miles/kWh.

What the numbers you are quoting measure is the capital cost for building generation facilities.

You were almost there though- Try reading this article, which is about LCOE, which is "a measure of the average net present cost of electricity for a generator over its lifetime. " Levelized cost of electricity - Wikipedia

Specifically, take a look at the graph at the top of the article:

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #170  
Look up "the find" (which is over 20 years old now) tracking. if you think you are defeating big tech by disconnecting a antenna I have a alexa to sell you.
I thought I was overly paranoid because I disconnected the antennas. But you're definitely tipping over into foil hat territory. I don't think big tech cares that much about me.