4720 Hy Guard Overfill

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I did a 500 hr service on my 4720 (hydro) hydraulic system. By the book- loader was off machine, changed big filter, pulled and cleaned the screen that goes in the side of the transmission, and pulled and cleaned the inline screen. Allowed plenty of time for drainage. Put the exact amount of oil in as specified. Now when I do a cold check the system shows it is clearly overfilled. Machine functions with no issues. No doubt I put the correct amount in.

Any opinions? I have to believe if the machine was overfilled to a harmful degree that relief on the top of the transaxle would be spraying oil-it doesn't but the stick shows oil way beyond the full mark.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #2  
Well hopefully if your year of 4720 still requires Low-Vis Hy Gard you used it and not normal Hy Gard. Maybe they have changed the spec and don't require Low-Vis any more.
I know there have been several posts about it and it happened to me as well that you cannot get every bit of the fluid out no matter how hard you try. I was still a bit short by measurement quantity. I was not able to put in the full fluid capacity and I was not able to drain the full fluid capacity. Was short about 1 liter.
How much overfilled are you?

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #3  
Normal specified amounts are dry amounts before filling on assembly line. Once liquid is a full level it's very difficult to get reservoir completely empty(DRY) again

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #4  
No problem. It happens all the time. Best solution is to use an oil sucker to draw out the excess oil. Quick and mess free.

If the fill hole is large you can use one of the small cylinder type. Otherwise one with a long thin hose should work.

Attachments

• oil_sucker1.jpg
    oil_sucker1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 95
  • suction_tool.jpg
    suction_tool.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 78
   / 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #5  
No problem. It happens all the time. Best solution is to use an oil sucker to draw out the excess oil. Quick and mess free.

If the fill hole is large you can use one of the small cylinder type. Otherwise one with a long thin hose should work.

That's a good idea. I have in the past unscrewed the drain plug, but I wouldn't suggest that. Bad things could happen.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #6  
The amount that the 4720 takes on a change is closer to 7.5 gallons vs. the 9 gallons called out in the manual.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill
Thx guys- And yes its Low vis (machine is an 07). Second complete change and both times I have been well over the hash marks. I have to believe if it is in a serious overfill condition, the vent would be relieving. I will attempt to pump out. as its my second change I should have known better.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill
Follow up guys- borrowed a plunger type sucker and gave up on that as being too slow. then disconnected line at the small in line screen-messy and I got two teaspoons out. finally woke up. Unscrewed one of the third valve drybreaks that sit on end of loader arm, hung a bucket, started machine and controlled discharge with third valve lever.

Bigger question, like a dummy I ran the machine for about 500 hrs on the same overfill condition before this change. I'm assuming if this was a serious issue I would have had problems by now-just wondering. If anything, I think my loader lift capacity is a little down.

I would frequently load/unload an 8' LandPride power rake off my skid steer trailer. Last time I did it, machine barely able to do it-I think that weighs around 1600 lbs.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill #9  
I doubt that the overfill of a gallon or two caused any problems. Most of the extra fluid is held in the rear case with the heavy gears and shafts. While I keep mine in the proper range on the stick as Deere recommends I think you should be okay.

About the problem with the loader, I would plug a test gauge into the fel hydraulic connectors and see how much pressure you have. Should be about 2500 psi. If the pump can not get to the proper pressure you may need to increase the relief valve setting. If the pump is overly worn it may need replacement but further diagnostics should be done to be sure before buying any parts.

If by chance the pump is failing this would be a separate issue from the overfilling. Recognize the pump is fed through a screen at the bottom of the sump, thru a rubber hose to the filter then goes into the pump on the front of the engine. Nothing but clean filtered oil should be getting to this pump regardless of the over fill condition. Same is true after it leaves the pump on its way to the valves mounted outside the case on the right rear side of the tractor.

/ 4720 Hy Guard Overfill
I doubt that the overfill of a gallon or two caused any problems. Most of the extra fluid is held in the rear case with the heavy gears and shafts. While I keep mine in the proper range on the stick as Deere recommends I think you should be okay.

About the problem with the loader, I would plug a test gauge into the fel hydraulic connectors and see how much pressure you have. Should be about 2500 psi. If the pump can not get to the proper pressure you may need to increase the relief valve setting. If the pump is overly worn it may need replacement but further diagnostics should be done to be sure before buying any parts.

If by chance the pump is failing this would be a separate issue from the overfilling. Recognize the pump is fed through a screen at the bottom of the sump, thru a rubber hose to the filter then goes into the pump on the front of the engine. Nothing but clean filtered oil should be getting to this pump regardless of the over fill condition. Same is true after it leaves the pump on its way to the valves mounted outside the case on the right rear side of the tractor.

Thx for the response. I guess I should borrow a gauge-machine has 1080 hrs-I would hope I don't have a pump issue but I do believe a 400X is rated higher than 1600 lbs. And bythe way, that 1600 lbs is an 8' Landpride. I recently bought a 6' Land pride which I believe is closer to 1400 lbs and it struggled clearing that off the trailer.