425 - model year changes and price check

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
Hi guys, looking for some info here. I found a 2012 425 for sale locally, 250 hours 2 buckets, 2 sets of forks, and an aerator. I believe it is a 1 owner, has turfs and wheel weights on the rear tires. Seller is asking $10k. The machine looks clean overall, but certainly not in showroom shape. Any comments on the price?

What year did PT upgrade the 425's? As I understand it, PT upgraded wheel motors to higher torque units at some point, and they make a big difference on hills. Also, someone on here said the main pump on the earlier units kept going out on him (Goldini brand?), and he thinks they changed to a new style of pump in later years. Any other model year specific upgrades I am unaware of?

My use would be moving firewood, plowing, a little mowing, and basically use it as a smaller powered wheel barrow. I have a 30 and a 60HP tractor, so I'm looking at 425's due to their size and maneuverability. Has anyone raised the relief valve pressure on these to increase the loader lift? 800lbs of lift is decent for the machine's weight, but I always seem to push my loaders to the edge one way or another.

Thanks in advance for any insight / info!

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #2  
If it is a machine I seen for sale, the hydraulic oil cooler was removed? Why? How long was it run without a cooler? Was it overheated (and potentially problematic from here on in with hardened seals and worn pumps/motors).
I wouldn't turn up the pressures, they can already lift enough to tip forward (and at that point the weight of the machine and load is all on 2 wheel motor shafts), but it will be yours. Also keep in mind on an articulated machine, when turned, the overall length gets smaller and you loose leverage from your counterweight (engine).

/ 425 - model year changes and price check
That’s the same one, and you just made me realize the hydraulic cooler is missing, I would not have noticed that. Am I correct in that the cooler is simply a fan, it’s not an actual cooler with a radiator and fan?

But yes, the fact that the cooler is missing is very suspect, very glad you brought this up.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #4  
There should be a radiator under the fan hole. Yes - it is important to keep the hydraulic oil at a good operating temperature. there is a temperature sensor that controls the fan. Yes - it is important.

I am interested in the land aerator and offered to pick it up this week. He said that someone wanted to look at the whole package Tuesday and that he would let me know. I did not here back so I messaged him yesterday but he has not replied.
If you buy it, put the fan back on and let me know if you want the land aerator. Not many people do.
Thanks

/ 425 - model year changes and price check
By looking at the pics in the ad, can either of you tell if only the fan is missing, or if the rad is also gone? If it’s only the fan, I feel like someone broke it and was too lazy or cheap to replace it. If the rad is gone as well, then that’s a whole other potential story.

This is a bummer no matter what, as I agree an overheated hydraulic system will only lead to issues down the road.

I am messaging back and forth with him, so he must not be keen on selling the aerator separately.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #6  
By looking at the pics in the ad, can either of you tell if only the fan is missing, or if the rad is also gone? If it’s only the fan, I feel like someone broke it and was too lazy or cheap to replace it. If the rad is gone as well, then that’s a whole other potential story.

This is a bummer no matter what, as I agree an overheated hydraulic system will only lead to issues down the road.

I am messaging back and forth with him, so he must not be keen on selling the aerator separately.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #7  
Yes - he wants to sell as a package - that is normal. But sending back a message is not hard.
No worries.

Ask him for photos of the motor and cooler. That will help. I love my 425. Use it so much that I sold the tractors.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #8  
Yes - he wants to sell as a package - that is normal. But sending back a message is not hard.
No worries.

Ask him for photos of the motor and cooler. That will help. I love my 425. Use it so much that I sold the tractors.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #9  
Looking at the photo it could be the radiator but I am not sure.

Attachments

• 2374ECE7-93E9-46E4-894D-020410522D98.jpeg
    2374ECE7-93E9-46E4-894D-020410522D98.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 97
   / 425 - model year changes and price check #10  
That photo looks like the radiator is there, but these machines need the cooling that the fan provides. Hopefully, it wasn't run without it. If you do go visit, look carefully at the rubber on the hoses close to the engine, and on the connections to the cooler.

I would also check the oil in the hydraulic tank (smell, color) as a quick and dirty check on overheating. Of course, if it is golden colored the seller may have changed the oil... I would also check the engine oil for color/smell.

All the best,

Peter