3-Point Hitch 3pt draft arm broken-3720

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
So I'm headed to the woods some 75 miles from home with my splitter hanging on my Imatch. I stopped at a store (40 miles from home) and when I came out I see across the lot that my splitter is hanging all cock-eyed. Figured maybe a weld failure as I had redone the splitter top link. Maybe a pin fell out, or maybe Imatch did not latch. Got over to the tractor and the draft arm was broken in half right thriugh the lift link hole.

Sunday so I an SOL. I'm 2 miles from my dealer, but their after hors parts only operates during crop season.

Monday I called my dealer and he calls back later to say he had the link off their in stock 3320 and would leave outside his house as we normally do. $250+ for one stupid link!

Went to install the link and it is definitely constructed differently. I installed it and went to set the sway link inside my Imatch. Problem! In order to drop the pin I can no longer keep the hitch centered with this new arm. The bends are different.

So I called the dealer and requested the second arm. He suggests that he check with JD "whole goods" and see if he can find there. No go on just the std links, BUT he can get me a pair of the telescoping lower links for about the price of one std.

So now my question is how are the telescoping links? I pretty much always use my Imatch setup so I sure don't NEED the telescoping links, but is there any reason NOT to use these in lieu of the fixed ones?

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #2  
Can't you get the stock draft link?, you paid $250 for something that's not right, dealer should take it back IMO

I know it's a tight area to weld but I did have to reinforce mine right at the lift link area, the bottom side is available to reinforce without any clearance issues. I put a 1 inch bar under mine but you could put a 2 inch or bigger to hold yours back together, might not look pretty but would be stronger than original. There's a few other tricks you can do to repair, almost any thought out repair is gonna be stronger than original, obviously original ain't all that great.

How did it break clean? and when you say you were 40 miles from home, do you mean you were going over the road with the splitter in tow? or was the tractor on a trailer?

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN5880.JPG
    DSCN5880.JPG
    992.9 KB · Views: 607
  • DSCN5891.JPG
    DSCN5891.JPG
    964.3 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCN6692.JPG
    DSCN6692.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 610
   / 3pt draft arm broken-3720
Mine is a 2006 or 2005 as memory serves. Bought first available unit when they were released.

Dealer will exchange or whatever I decide. He actually robbed the arm that I have off of an in stock machine.

There are a couple of dark areas at the edges that tell me it was partly broken for a while now. They appear top be flat glass like breaks then the bulk of it is porous textured break. I'll try to get pics posted.

It was on my trailer when it broke. I have had much heavier implement than my splitter (plus 250# or weights) on teh 3 pt, but of course I generally transport in the down position. The spplitter will not lay on the ground until I build stands/legs for it.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #4  
Ok, so the weight of the splitter was hanging/bouncing on the 3 pt when transporting on trailer.

That is alot of stress and at least explains why it broke especially if it had some previous fracture, I'm sure if you had to do it again you'd support it with something, but to late for that now :(

So can you get the stock one still or is it discontinued, I know they discontinue alot of the accessories after just a few years, but a draft link is a necessity and should be kept available.

JB.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #5  
If the dealer is willing to make you a good price on the telescopic links then go for it. Should be no issues with the latch part of it. I use the IMatch and have the tele links and on occasion find it to be handy when hooking up non IMatch stuff.

I don't think the arms should have broken with that light of a weight though.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #6  
........So now my question is how are the telescoping links?

I have telescopic links on 3720 and 4320. They work great and wouldn't want to be w/o them ever again.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #7  
I have telescopic links on 3720 and 4320. They work great and wouldn't want to be w/o them ever again.

Ditto with me on both my 3720 and 2355. In fact, I see no need to add an I-match. I can hook up fast enough with out it. All it does is add more weight (and stress) to the 3-pt. But that's just my opinion. Maybe if I used one for a while I would think otherwise.

I would go for the tele arms and see if you don't just skip the match.
By the way, I think the telescopic arms are a little heavier duty. I have both, I'll have to take a look later and compare.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #8  
Ok, so the weight of the splitter was hanging/bouncing on the 3 pt when transporting on trailer.

That is alot of stress and at least explains why it broke especially if it had some previous fracture, I'm sure if you had to do it again you'd support it with something, but to late for that now :(

So can you get the stock one still or is it discontinued, I know they discontinue alot of the accessories after just a few years, but a draft link is a necessity and should be kept available.

JB.

I don't think the arms should have broken with a 250 lb load on them, the arm was defective that all. I have driven the tractor without the benefit of the trailer spring suspension with much heavier implements like brush cutters without any failures down some rough roads. A tractor on a trailer would experience much less of a shockload.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720
To clarify my splitter is I believe 360#. I added a weight bracket to it to carry maybe 6 or 8 of the 40# suitcase weights.

I have a MX5, and Harley T6 (1000#) and have driven rough roads etc w/o issue.

I'd be curious to see how the telescoping links compare strenght wise. I don't plan to give up my Imatch. It's just too handy.

/ 3pt draft arm broken-3720 #10  
I don't think the arms should have broken with a 250 lb load on them, the arm was defective that all. I have driven the tractor without the benefit of the trailer spring suspension with much heavier implements like brush cutters without any failures down some rough roads. A tractor on a trailer would experience much less of a shockload.

When you carry your brush hog or other implements, I assume you lower them to the deck? If some thing didn't fully contact the deck you would block it up, how else would you secure it with a chain or strap? You need to be able to cinch it down snug.

The way I pictured his splitter is suspended in the air with no support under it, I could be wrong but that's how I have imagined it. He did say he had "no stand or legs"
Whatever it weighs multiply that by it's leverage ratio and the lively load of going down the road and doesn't seem that far a stretch that something COULD give, maybe even without any defects in the material. With that big hole in there, right where the greatest stress is, makes sense to me, that's where it's gonna relieve itself.

Without it suspended in the air unsupported, I don't see how it could of broke?

And he also mentioned having 1000 pound loads on the 3pt, if there were some kind of fracture I think it would of let him know earlier, under normal/rough operating conditions, so I don't know if I agree that it had to be a defective arm.

I don't plan to give up my Imatch. It's just too handy.

I don't blame you, I wouldn't either.

Hey maybe SlaveTo Horses can sell you his, He doesn't need them now, with the telescoping ones :)

Did you mention, are the stock ones available?

JB.