3010 Basket Case

/ 3010 Basket Case #1  

Alberta Brian

Tractor
T.B.D.
Good Day All - this winter I’ll finish rebuilding a 1953 Ferguson TEA-20 and am looking for my next project. One candidate available to me is a seized 1961 3010. My question is - can a component amateur mechanic rebuild one of these? I already know parts cost can be an issue but would I need special tools and equipment to do the job?
Thanks

/ 3010 Basket Case #2  
Repairing engine on JD 3010 isn't that complicated. I suggest to acquire a JD 3000 tech manual if you don't already have one.

/ 3010 Basket Case
Repairing engine on JD 3010 isn't that complicated. I suggest to acquire a JD 3000 tech manual if you don't already have one.
Thanks - what do you think about the drive train?

/ 3010 Basket Case #4  
Alberta
What about the drive train? Thought this was an engine problem.

/ 3010 Basket Case #5  
Good Day All - this winter I’ll finish rebuilding a 1953 Ferguson TEA-20 and am looking for my next project. One candidate available to me is a seized 1961 3010. My question is - can a component amateur mechanic rebuild one of these? I already know parts cost can be an issue but would I need special tools and equipment to do the job?
Thanks

Hello Brian. I'm an old mechanic and been around tractors and rebuilds for over 50 years.

First of all, congratulations on rebuilding the Ferguson. That's a nice place to start.

On the 3010, is it a gas engine? They came as gas or diesel. You already have experience with gas engine with the T-20, and diesel rebuilds are much more exacting and expensive than gas engines. A home mechanic can often get an old gas engine running decently, but a diesel rebuild is a specialty job. So I would stay with gas.

And you would do better in my opinion to rebuild a JD3020 than a JD3010. Many more 3020s were made, in my opinion it is a better tractor throughout , and it was made for long enough that parts should be more available.
A 3020 could be a keeper even by today's standards. And many were sold with gasoline engines.

There are some good old tractors out there, our old one is a 1958 JD530. Not a well known model, but at the end of JD's two cylinder tractors they built the 520/530 and 620/630 for just a couple of years - both models have old style vintage engines and transmissions but modern power steering, hydraulics, electrics, FEL, good seating, and a modern 3pt hitch.
Parts are very available for older 2 cylinder JDs, too.

If you can, you will do better with any rebuilt to start with an old one that runs but is worn & has some needs instead of one that is broken.
Good luck with it.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / 3010 Basket Case #6  
If tractor happened to be relocated very far by towing without putting trans gear selector in "tow position" it highly possible that some gears on trans top shaft have galled cause trans to be stuck in gear. JD 3010/3020 engines are orphan engines only utilized in the aforementioned agriculture tractor models plus model 500 industrial tractors.

/ 3010 Basket Case #7  
rScotty
Small correction to your statement JD 3010/3020 tractors were offered with diesel,gasoline & "LPG" fueled engines

/ 3010 Basket Case #8  
If tractor happened to be relocated very far by towing without putting trans gear selector in "tow position" it highly possible that some gears on trans top shaft have galled cause trans to be stuck in gear. JD 3010/3020 engines are orphan engines only utilized in the aforementioned agriculture tractor models plus model 500 industrial tractors.

There's a lot of tractors out there, and I sympathize with the OP because there was a time when I really looked forward to the next rebuilding project.
I finally figured out that choosing the right project was the key.
For me to enjoy it the machine has to be top of the line with as many accessories as possible right from the start. Then I like to make it work right. And I like old paint and sound metal better than new paint and putty. But that's just me....

I've got a friend who only rebuilds old British single cylinder motorcycles. He doesn't ever repaint. Another likes Farmalls - he always repaints. And another only does FJ model Toyota LandCruisers mechanical systems.

What JD tractor would you choose for a rebuilding project to end up with a usable keeper?
rScotty

/ 3010 Basket Case #10  
How is that a correction?
My aging eyesight only saw you state diesel & gasoline powered 3000 series engines but you didn't mention LPG AKA propane powered