3 way switch and LED lights

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Does anybody know if you need anything special if you want to install LED lights and have them on a standard 3 way light switch?

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #2  
Does anybody know if you need anything special if you want to install LED lights and have them on a standard 3 way light switch?

I cannot see any problem with it Eddie. The switch will never know.. neither will the lights.

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #3  
If the lightbulb screws into a standard light socket, there is no difference, AC doesn't care. Most all LEDs are fed from AC and convert it to DC in the light.

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #4  
They make 3way LED bulbs, but haven't tried one yet.

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #5  
Now, if you mean a 3-way table lamp SOCKET/switch, those take a special 3-way bulb with a separate "ring" in the base for the second circuit. The lamp socket has a small rectangular tab to contact this ring. If you use a standard bulb, even a LED bulb in a 3-way socket, it will work just fine, except the switch knob, instead of giving you off-low-med-high-off, will in turn give you off-off-on-off-off. I have seen cases of a standard bulb in a 3-way socket where the center contact of the bulb is large enough that it contacts BOTH the center and the ring contacts of the socket. If this happens, it will still work, but you will get off-on-on-on-off.

- Jay

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #6  
They make 3way LED bulbs, but haven't tried one yet.

I am pretty sure he is talking about a so called 3 way wall switch (two switches at different physical locations controlling a single lamp or string of lamps.) Eddie correct us if that is not what you meant.

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #7  
I took it the other way, but in either case you can use LED bulbs.

/ 3 way switch and LED lights #8  
I have regular LED bulbs in a couple 3-way lamps. They work just like a regular bulb would work. On On Off Off On On etc... If you mean 3 way like k0ua mentions, still no issue.

If using a dimmer you need to have an LED bulb that is dimmable.