2022 Outlander Max 6x6

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #191  
“Does it make max torque at partial throttle?”

Of course, as is typical for torque.
For my truck max torque at
1400 rpm is a bit less than 1/4 throttle for that truck, 6k redline.

It breaks all kinds of things at low rpm.

He is probably right in the middle of his torque curve.

“There is a relationship between torque and horsepower: HP = Torque X RPM. If you make a more analytical observation of car torque vs HP specs, you will see that an engine has a maximum torque spec and a maximum HP spec. Both these specifications are relative to engine speed or RPM. An engine will reach its maximum horsepower at a certain RPM and maximum torque at a different RPM.

If you want to get somewhere in the shortest time, you want to drive as fast as possible. You want to do the most work in the shortest time. When speed is the objective, horsepower is important, as this is the rate (or speed) at which the work is done.

If you want to move more weight and are not too concerned how fast this is achieved, higher torque is advantageous.”

Throttle position is an extraordinarily poor way to judge the work the components are doing when plowing vs towing.

Anyway, will leave it here. GL with the machine and redesign

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #192  
“Does it make max torque at partial throttle?”

Of course, as is typical for torque.
For my truck max torque at
1400 rpm is a bit less than 1/4 throttle for that truck, 6k redline.

It breaks all kinds of things at low rpm.

He is probably right in the middle of his torque curve.

“There is a relationship between torque and horsepower: HP = Torque X RPM. If you make a more analytical observation of car torque vs HP specs, you will see that an engine has a maximum torque spec and a maximum HP spec. Both these specifications are relative to engine speed or RPM. An engine will reach its maximum horsepower at a certain RPM and maximum torque at a different RPM.

If you want to get somewhere in the shortest time, you want to drive as fast as possible. You want to do the most work in the shortest time. When speed is the objective, horsepower is important, as this is the rate (or speed) at which the work is done.

If you want to move more weight and are not too concerned how fast this is achieved, higher torque is advantageous.”

Throttle position is an extraordinarily poor way to judge the work the components are doing when plowing vs towing.

Anyway, will leave it here. GL with the machine and redesign
Ok we have a failure to understand "throttle" (how far are you pressing on the accelerator pedal) vs RPM (speed of the engine).

The two are only somewhat related; at maximum load you can be at max torque rpm with full throttle - you're unlikely to develop max torque without max throttle, even at that rpm.

With a lower load and not needing as much acceleration, at the same rpm that your engine *can* develop max torque, you may have the throttle set more lightly, and the engine will not be working as hard (ie it will not be taxed as heavily).

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6
Ok we have a failure to understand "throttle" (how far are you pressing on the accelerator pedal) vs RPM (speed of the engine).

The two are only somewhat related; at maximum load you can be at max torque rpm with full throttle - you're unlikely to develop max torque without max throttle, even at that rpm.

With a lower load and not needing as much acceleration, at the same rpm that your engine *can* develop max torque, you may have the throttle set more lightly, and the engine will not be working as hard (ie it will not be taxed as heavily).
While doing the two jobs this machines does, that is, pushing snow with the blade or towing some implement*. Its not hard to listen to the engine and gauge the work its doing. This is what most people can do while operating there truck, compact tractor or lawn mower. Isn't this what most people do? Whatever the case, while just pushing snow this machine is hardly working at all and I'm operating in the 1st 1/4 or 1/3 of its total throttle. While towing snow implements its in the 1/2 to 100% output range. This is not rocket science, it takes significantly more HP to tow some implement in snow. Now the rants may continue. :ROFLMAO:

*I commonly do both at once.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #194  
I would think the amount of HP required to push snow would depend on snow depth, snow wetness, and what type of surface the snow is being pushed across. Also how aggressively the blade is engaged to the snow. That could make for vast differences in power required and therefore strain on the drivetrain.
We push snow with trucks and tractors and I can tell you that 4” of wet snow is harder on the drivetrain than 10“ of fluffy dry snow.
Probably the same could be said about pulling a groomer across snow, too.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #195  
Getting back to causes of failure imo evidence of chipped or broken off splines would indicate a sudden impact while plowing which could eventually cause those splines to look ground down, I believe the op loaded up the springs on the plow for the tripping mechanism. I have in the past also. Welding a pipe to cutting edge really helped me anyway for significantly minimizing sudden hard impacts.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #196  
“Ok we have a failure to understand "throttle" (how far are you pressing on the accelerator pedal) vs RPM (speed of the engine).”

No failure to understand, dyno numbers tell me where my power is made under load (rpm and tps)

As far as pushing snow, as I said, it will find your weak link. Light and fluffy vs wet and heavy means little when you push into a bank or hit that rock

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #197  
Yeah but “light and fluffy vs wet and heavy” does mean something-even if you don’t hit a bank or rock.
I have personally rebuilt failed mechanical and driveline parts from plowing very heavy wet snow. Have never repaired driveline or plow parts pushing light fluffy snow.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #198  
I can imagine the amount of heat produced by pushing heavy wet snow is significant especially on a belt driven cvt drivetrain requiring additional friction on the belt and clutch sheaves to push.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #199  
It not the pushing, or even the throttle pressure...it's the sudden stops that is hard on equipment. This is true for both the engine and drivetrain. Pushing snow and then suddenly stopping does not prevent the physics of momentum from proceeding to the weak link.

Every ATV, UTV based machine encounters sudden stops in pushing snow. They don't have the weight to push through.

/ 2022 Outlander Max 6x6 #200  
“Ok we have a failure to understand "throttle" (how far are you pressing on the accelerator pedal) vs RPM (speed of the engine).”

No failure to understand, dyno numbers tell me where my power is made under load (rpm and tps)

As far as pushing snow, as I said, it will find your weak link. Light and fluffy vs wet and heavy means little when you push into a bank or hit that rock

Is your dyno run at partial throttle?
Or full throttle?

Pretty lil engine. I'm certain you know what the throttle does, so I'm completely perplexed that there's any question about the difference of engine output at a given RPM being dependent on how open the throttle is.