2008 f350 v10?

/ 2008 f350 v10? #41  
Bought a 2008 F450 , went with the V10, wasn't going to fall for the first year 6.4 diesel . Did that in 2003 with a F350, could have had the 7.3 or the new 6.0 with more power. Got the bugs out of it but lesson learned !
no issues with the V10 but it sounds like it would like to send a piston through the hood when towing.
The 7.3 gasser with the 10 speed is an outstanding setup.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #42  
That’s true, but it’s also why they make class seven and eight trucks, and why Diesel dominates in those markets. Using your rationale, a class 8 semi could probably reduce your trips to five. The F550 and equivalent rigs aren’t used much for real hauling anymore, since they require the same logs, licensing, etc as a class 8, and are inferior in braking and general reliability and life.

But it won’t fit in my garage, and thats the primary reason I don’t have one. I do have a class 8 International truck, too BTW.
Having said that, from what the op of this thread implied, he’s not looking for a class 8 semi, just something that can occasionally tow a trailer for personal use around his farm, or whatever. He’s not looking to put a lot of miles on, either, otherwise he wouldn’t be looking at a 10-15-20 year old rig.

Correct

Lots of light truck Diesel owners rationalize the $6-10 k upcharge for a Diesel because they might tow a large trailer twice in the trucks fifteen year life span. I have no issue with them buying the Diesel, but they should, and probably do, realize they are paying a lot of money for image and feel-good, rather than rational need.

Yep, thats their right and freedom to do in the good ol’ USA. Some guys squander 100’s of thousands on boats, Harleys & girlfriends, too.
As far as DI gas engines and turbochargers go, the little ecoboost 3.5 l engine in my van has 400 some foot lb of torque and a relatively high compression ratio. Ford dropped all of their small Diesels, reportedly because the ecoboost gad DI Turbo intercoolers engine’s outperform them, at lower cost, and similar fuel economy.

Yep, I don’t see much use for a diesel in a 1/2 ton, since the towing advantage just isn’t there and the truck isn’t heavy enough to tow much to begin with, unless its a truck driven 20,000 per year.

Last edited:
   / 2008 f350 v10? #43  
One thing to watch out for: the exhaust manifold bolts are bad about rotting off and breaking. It's a nightmare repair and expensive.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #44  
Мне интересно, а кто-нибудь пробовал сделать чип тюнинга двигателя на этой модели и какую мощность он показал после этого?

They definitely have chips available, here's one I found with dyno charts showing the HP/TQ gains

/ 2008 f350 v10? #45  
I have a Hypertech tuner in mine for the past 20 years . The different settings are very minimal and the all-out setting they say to use premium gas. Defiantly not like a diesel chip which can add 100 hp and can change parameters drastically.

Anyone wants to do dual exhaust on them Borla is probably the best . My tail pipe rotted out a year or so ago sent pictures to Borla and they sent me a whole new system for free after 18 years. Now that's a warrantee. 🍻

/ 2008 f350 v10? #46  
TFL on youtube has some videos testing various ford trucks before and after tuning by a company called 5star, if i remember correctly.

I've resisted the temptation to modify the 6.8L RV.. so far.. i mean engine/drivetrain wise (done a bunch of electrical work with batteries+inverter). But I have spent time researching putting a 6.8 into a 4.6L SN95 Mustang. I don't love those cars but i like the 6.8L enough that i think i would be a big fan of that combo. Or a 97-04 f150. I do like those trucks already, other than the 4.6 and 5.4. But i have no need for either thing so it's just idle car guy thoughts about putting a 'big' engine where it doesn't go.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #47  
My buddy is a lineman for Comcast. His region exclusively bought F-450 and F-550 bucket trucks with the V10 engines for many years. He said they are absolute garbage when worked hard. Blown engines, manifold failures, 6 MPG wherever he goes, and just always something wrong with them. He says they rarely make it much past 100k miles. Much of the time he's in a "loaner" truck for work since his is always in the shop. So when he decided to buy a personal truck he went with the 6.2L V8.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #48  
I can't speak for this particular truck. But, I had a 2008 f-250 diesel and a 1996 Ram 2500 V10 gas at the same for about a year. I was running a lawn service pulling somewhere around 6,000-8,000 pounds. I started with the Ford diesel, added the Dodge, then after testing the Dodge sold the Ford. I ran with the v10 dodge for several years before I got out of lawn service. I was happy with the power of the v-10 gas and it seemed to do better around town stop to stop than the diesel did. Fuel economy was marginally worse than the Diesel but I think they were something like 8mpg for the diesel and 7mpg for the gas. Probably would have been a bigger spread on the highway, but that's not how I used it.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #49  
My buddy is a lineman for Comcast. His region exclusively bought F-450 and F-550 bucket trucks with the V10 engines for many years. He said they are absolute garbage when worked hard. Blown engines, manifold failures, 6 MPG wherever he goes, and just always something wrong with them. He says they rarely make it much past 100k miles. Much of the time he's in a "loaner" truck for work since his is always in the shop. So when he decided to buy a personal truck he went with the 6.2L V8.
Miles don’t mean much on a line truck.most engine run time on a rig like that is idling.

v10 had something like 3800 hours at 150000 miles, if I recall correctly. That’s an average of around 39.5 mph.

A line truck probably averages 10 mph, and would have 15000 hours at the same mileage. That idle time really kills cam followe’re or anything else that relays on a hydrodynamic film.

/ 2008 f350 v10? #50  
That's funny because my mechanic services the comcast fleet around here and he says their trucks have anywhere between 4 and 5 hundred k miles on them. He hates them cause the diesels make him more money no matter which brand you choose. Common rail diesels with VGT turbos create his most business. 🍻