20' flexwing behind 1066?

/ 20' flexwing behind 1066? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
There is a Schulte 3020 20 foot flexwing mower for sale a couple hours away from me.

It has the shredding kit (double blades), 1000 input shaft.

I don't necessarily need a shredding kit and know little about it. I never knew they might put double blades on a cutter until I saw this one.

1. First question is, would this be too much mower for the 1066?
2. If not, would the shredding blades add more strain to the system over single blades? (since it's having to swing both blades verses one)
3. Would the shredding option / double blades do any better for simple mulching when cutting the (already cut once this year) fields?
4. It's at some dealer who says he took it in on a trade....he said he thought the stump jumper was part of the shredding kit. I was asking if it would make sense to simply replace the blades with a single. He said he wasn't sure but thought the rotating pan on the bottom might be part of the shredding option (??)
5. I asked if one of these blades rotated "inside" the ring and the other one rode "above" ... I've never seen this in person and can't quite gauge from the pictures where the blades are in relation to the rest of the underside. (they LOOK like they're both simply bolted at the same pivot point which, might indeed be the case....) I thought he said one blade was above the pan and the other below with a single bolt. He then admitted he hadn't really looked at it and didn't know, which is fine.

Appreciate any thoughts.

/ 20' flexwing behind 1066? #2  
Have you got duals on the 1066? It will handle the cutter fine on flat ground and rolling hills. Anything getting moderate slope could cause the batwing to push the tractor if you turn down slope. Especially with single rear tires. It might not back up hill so good either..

As for the blades my understanding is, one causes suction and cuts and the bottom cuts.. The ones I saw were on a older (1508) JD batwing and bolted up just like a regular blade but, used a different bolt for both blades to swing on..
I didn't study the setup and don't see how the stump jumper would have affected anything to do with the blades..

If this is used!?!
My concern would be the clutches and wheel bearings. I'd hook it up and turn it on and listen to it, feel for vibration and look for HYD leaks.
Look at the u-joints for play, and the CVJ for noise when turning..
This is a big boy and you can run into some money pretty quick.. IDK anything about the brand you mentioned either. Parts would be a concern!!
Good luck!!

/ 20' flexwing behind 1066? #3  
img.axd

This is one I found on tractor house, you can see the double blade set up..

That's a lot of blades..

/ 20' flexwing behind 1066? #6  
Schulte Industries Products

If you scroll through the pictures in this link you can see that the double knife setup does not have a stump jumper.

It seems the double knife setup is more for shredding crop stubble (i.e., corn and cotton stocks/stems).

If you have smooth ground without stumps I'd bet it would work on grass, but rocks and stumps could make a mess of the double knife setup.

Schulte Industries Products

Last edited:
   / 20' flexwing behind 1066?
If you scroll through the pictures in this link you can see that the double knife setup does not have a stump jumper.

Here's underside of said unit... (been playing phone tag and now, tomorrow,I'm going to leave at 5:30 a.m. to be in a town all day, 2 hours away.

None the less, I don't know what to make of your comments as it relates to the picture. (could this be cobbed together? I don't pretend to know)

Attachments

• deck rings.jpg
    deck rings.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 173
  • Blades.jpg
    Blades.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 176
   / 20' flexwing behind 1066?
I presumed the double blades were the same as the double knife.... I think I was wrong in that presumption.

/ 20' flexwing behind 1066? #9  
   / 20' flexwing behind 1066? #10  
COOL machine! Too many people spend WAAYY too much time cutting grass or vegetation six feet at a time.