16k trailer with 14500 payload.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #31  
I dunno. But I think semi's axles are not really the same design....

I get the "theory" of equalizing the load. And they do when compared to a torsion axle or independent axles.

But the fact that they are only "equalizing" the load placed on the middle hanger. The weight on that center bolt of the equalizer is indeed shared equally between both front and rear axle.

But the front eye of the front axle and rear eye of the rear axle springs are not shared.

I have not been able to find anything at all or any sources that state BOTH axles have equal weight in a tandem trailer with equalizer/double-eye springs.

I HAVE been able to find people posting that when scaling their tandem trailer with this type of suspension that they are seeing HIGHER front axle loads than rear (on an empty trailer). Which makes sense because they are tongue heavy when empty.

So while I think: That the load placement on the trailer does indeed change individual axle loads.....the point of the equalizer is NOT to make the weights equal. The point is to make the weights of the individual axles NOT CHANGE when going over bumps or uneven terrain.

I could be way off.....but have yet to find definitive proof either way. Just my real-world observations.

But not trying to get off topic.......to the OP......if you want to haul 14.5k.....RUN AWAY from ANYTHING with dual 7k axles PERIOD
Good stuff LD1.

In rethought, I should not have used the OTR trailer example. The tandem suspension system is not the same as the trailer in this discussion. It is designed to equally apply the load to the pavement though. And the ratio carried by each axle will remain the same even though the total load will change by sliding the axle. I used that example to simplify moving the load on the trailer floor. My mistake.

I've never measured the distance from the front spring eyebolt to the center of the oscillator compared to the distance from the rear spring eyebolt to the cent of the oscillator. There may be a difference built in. If not, then they will share the load equally. Mathematics.

I'll do some measuring on my BP trailer.

I completely agree with your last statement!!! :)

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload.
But not trying to get off topic.......to the OP......if you want to haul 14.5k.....RUN AWAY from ANYTHING with dual 7k axles PERIOD
Yeah, that makes sense to me. Going to look at one of these next week, they can de rate it to 16k so I'm under cdl weight.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #33  
I also have not weighed the different loads on the axles of a pivoting axle trailer, but I can say that when I worked at a rental yard that rented dump trailers it was only ever the rear axle that bent. I asked the trailer rep why that was and he said they see it all the time. According to him it is because even if the trailer is not overloaded, when the trailer is dumped (still attached to the tow vehicle obviously) it can overload the rear axle. The math may say no, but real world experience says different. We had the rear axle bend on one dump trailer 3 times before we replaced them both with heavier axles.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #34  
Yeah, that makes sense to me. Going to look at one of these next week, they can de rate it to 16k so I'm under cdl weight.

Oooohhhh,,,, I like that trailer!!!! I prefer the jack back against the front of the bed. Otherwise I like everything about it. :cool:

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #35  
I also have not weighed the different loads on the axles of a pivoting axle trailer, but I can say that when I worked at a rental yard that rented dump trailers it was only ever the rear axle that bent. I asked the trailer rep why that was and he said they see it all the time. According to him it is because even if the trailer is not overloaded, when the trailer is dumped (still attached to the tow vehicle obviously) it can overload the rear axle. The math may say no, but real world experience says different. We had the rear axle bend on one dump trailer 3 times before we replaced them both with heavier axles.
Yep. I've saw that too. During dump the weight is removed from the tongue to the point the oscillators max out and all the weight is on the rear axle.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #36  
That's because the angle of the frame changes when the weight shifts to the back as it dumps.
IF the trailer frame stays at the same angle (relative to the axles), the equalizer will even out the load.
If the trailer frame angle changes, the "split" between the axles will change because the horizontal distance between the pivot of the equalizer and the axle changes.

Aaron Z

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #37  
That's because the angle of the frame changes when the weight shifts to the back as it dumps.
IF the trailer frame stays at the same angle (relative to the axles), the equalizer will even out the load.
If the trailer frame angle changes, the "split" between the axles will change because the horizontal distance between the pivot of the equalizer and the axle changes.

Aaron Z
The trailer frame does stay basically the same. The tongue stays on the ball hitch of the tow vehicle and the frame of the trailer stays horizontal and all four tires stay on the ground, only the dump bed changes angles. It might raise the hitch a couple inches as the dump bed raises, but basically it stays horizontal.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #38  
I dunno. But I think semi's axles are not really the same design....

I get the "theory" of equalizing the load. And they do when compared to a torsion axle or independent axles.

But the fact that they are only "equalizing" the load placed on the middle hanger. The weight on that center bolt of the equalizer is indeed shared equally between both front and rear axle.

But the front eye of the front axle and rear eye of the rear axle springs are not shared.

I have not been able to find anything at all or any sources that state BOTH axles have equal weight in a tandem trailer with equalizer/double-eye springs.

I HAVE been able to find people posting that when scaling their tandem trailer with this type of suspension that they are seeing HIGHER front axle loads than rear (on an empty trailer). Which makes sense because they are tongue heavy when empty.

So while I think: That the load placement on the trailer does indeed change individual axle loads.....the point of the equalizer is NOT to make the weights equal. The point is to make the weights of the individual axles NOT CHANGE when going over bumps or uneven terrain.

I could be way off.....but have yet to find definitive proof either way. Just my real-world observations.

Yeah he needs 8k oil baths and 17.5’s.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #40  
I'm shopping 16k trailers and I found a company making one with an advertised 14500 payload. It has dual 7k axles and weighs 3100lbs. How is this possible? Seems like it would have to have 8k axles and only weigh 1500lbs to make this happen. What am I missing?
Something doesn’t add up with the trailer specs..Error I hope?
I own multiple trailers, 7000, 10000 GVW rated and the 7k has 3500 lb axles and the 10k has 5200 lb axles.
Never seen a trailer rated lIke this.
All this on 15” tires? Max tire rating on this tire is 6100 lbs with 7000 lb axles?
A trailer this size usually has standard 16“ tires. I would never buy a trailer this size with 15” tires and it will pull hard.
None of this adds up.
Would compare these specs to other makes for sure.
EM

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr