16k trailer with 14500 payload.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #41  
Yep! that's why you have to know more than them and order one built correctly despite them saying the same trailer with tandem axles and 15" tires on the lot will "work just fine". :rolleyes:

View attachment 796474View attachment 796475

Triple 6K axles, 16" tires Load range E.
Check the Age of tires too.
4 digits- eg: 1223 = 12 week of 2023.
New trailers should be no older than 2022 unless irs a price reflecting tires.
When I bought mine in 2004 it had already cracked tires round and round for abit then the dealer swapped them off mine to another one.
I'm happy hope the other person was WISE enough to catch it.

My opinion on new trailer would be to step up the axles rating would not pass the commercial law enforcers up here and an out of service could ruin Your day/week.
Buy what YOU can afford to do the job plus.

Its like building a pole barn bigger is better

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #42  
I'm shopping 16k trailers and I found a company making one with an advertised 14500 payload. It has dual 7k axles and weighs 3100lbs. How is this possible? Seems like it would have to have 8k axles and only weigh 1500lbs to make this happen. What am I missing?

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #43  
I'm shopping 16k trailers and I found a company making one with an advertised 14500 payload. It has dual 7k axles and weighs 3100lbs. How is this possible? Seems like it would have to have 8k axles and only weigh 1500lbs to make this happen. What am I missing?
Something definitely is wrong with the numbers. I have a 13,600 GVW dump trailer. The trailer weight is 3,600 lbs and it's rated to carry 10,000 lbs with two 7,000 lbs axles so the math works. Not sure what you're getting from whoever's selling it.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #44  
GVWR is checked by the vehicle being weighted alone, by itself, on a scale. No weight transfer to other vehicles. If involved in a fatal, that is how it would be measured. If by itself it weighs over the GVWR, it will be determined to be in violation.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #45  
I have pretty much the same trailer your buying used if your interested. It’s rated 15k

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #46  
The trailer GVWR has to include the entire weight including the pin or tongue weight.

This is a mis-print or mistake. The small trailer would have to have a GVWR of 17350 and that would necessitate a tongue weight of 3350.

As it is listed, the max you can put on the small trailer is 13150, which will give you a 16,000 trailer weight.

I have two of their trailers (HP50-LA30 and a GX40 and the numbers were correct on those. I don't think they were gaming the system, I really believe it is an error.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #47  
Something doesn’t add up with the trailer specs..Error I hope?
I own multiple trailers, 7000, 10000 GVW rated and the 7k has 3500 lb axles and the 10k has 5200 lb axles.
Never seen a trailer rated lIke this.
All this on 15” tires? Max tire rating on this tire is 6100 lbs with 7000 lb axles?
A trailer this size usually has standard 16“ tires. I would never buy a trailer this size with 15” tires and it will pull hard.
None of this adds up.
Would compare these specs to other makes for sure.
EM

I didn't read through all the pages.
My 20+5 gooseneck is 14,000lb. Two 7000lb axles.
It says specifically on the label-Maximum load 9,000lbs. Which then tells me the empty trailer must weigh in around 5,000lbs +/-

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload.
What did they say?
They said the #s on the spec sheet were correct and you could load 14k on it but couldn't explain in a way that made sense to me how that was possible. So I passed on it.

I ended up driving to Richmond and buying the bigfoot trailer with 8k axles, it was a 17k trailer but they derated it to 16k. The 17.5" tires are super beefy compared to the tires on my 14k trailer or 10k dump trailer.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #49  
For the OP's purposes, add one more vote to the NO BLOODY WAY on 7k axles. Reality is the "farm yard junk" that Dexter sells is in so far over its head that loading to rated max is going to have very short component life. Really strange they would install far more tire than the axle could ever hope to carry as quite a bit more $$. Sadly, the brakes will still be totally inadequate for much more than a push type lawn mower on the deck.

Most trailer manufacturers use the hitch weight of bumper pull at 10% as part of the trailer GVW - and I consider that appropriate and correct. BUT: with 14k worth of axle on a 3500 lb trailer in bumper pull configuration, you would have a GVWR of only 15,400 thus a net payload of only 11,900. The OP didn't mention what his required payload was, but given the same trailer with 8k axles you could realistically expect a GVWR of 17,600 for a net of 14,100 - far more useful (I see a fair number of track skidsteers around the 14k level these days). I would suggest having a similar trailer built by same supplier, but using 8k Lippert axles and elec/hyd disc brakes.

Regarding trailers being level with typical spring suspension: The travel of the little balance beams of very short leaves of trailer springs is so short, a trailer (ESPECIALLY tri-axle) will indeed have weight distribution issues if not dead level. No, not a drastic as torsion axles, but no where near what a proper walking beam can do (that IS 100% equalizing). RV based trailer market suspension is just plain awful for anything but ideal light load conditions.

Just a comment on tires: the OP's example of the 17.5 rubber is extremely conservative (and good) but the comments about Chinese rubber needs some reply. Around here, 235 80 or 85 load range G rubber is on hundreds if not thousands of stock trailers. I built a 26k semi with 3 x 8k (disc brake of course) years ago when the only tubeless Gs were Goodyear 159s. Absolute super expensive garbage (and IIRC killed more than a few people on RV use). Badyear "upgraded" to the 614 design when the lawsuits came in, and then they had even more expensive garbage (would lose one every few thousand miles without fail). MANY encounters with rural tire dealers along the way and the managed to convince me to try some Sailun rubber on this trailer (usually around 6.5k per axle). I tried a pair on a double 614 failure trip thinking I would just rip them off when I got home. They are still on the trailer several years and tens of thousands of miles later - along with 4 more of the same thing. It wasn't until mentioning this to a Chinese engineering prof friend of mine that he told me his team had designed and built the equipment that made those tires (in a HUGE government sponsored effort to improve domestic and export tire quality). Ask around a lot of ag tire shops before jumping to ANY trailer tire conclusions.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload.
20230508_104414.jpg
20230508_104427.jpg