Useful attachments adapted to PT ?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ?
Based on my experience with my brush mower, I suspect that bigger wheels are not the solution. My rear wheels are in the second lowest bolt holes, I.e. second highest deck height.

The deck cutting height works okay in fields where there is no mulch debris, but I'd like to find a way to increase the cutting height to mow over the chunks of mulch debris in the fields that were mulched.

Looking for laminated wheels that would be taller than the OEM versions, one of the issues I'm seeing is the hubs on the taller wheels may be too wide.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #82  
The deck cutting height works okay in fields where there is no mulch debris, but I'd like to find a way to increase the cutting height to mow over the chunks of mulch debris in the fields that were mulched.

Looking for laminated wheels that would be taller than the OEM versions, one of the issues I'm seeing is the hubs on the taller wheels may be too wide.
The hubs, as well as the tires may be too wide and the diameter can't be increased too much before hitting the deck / tractor.

Go for it, if you want, but you might also consider as an alternative protective gear and perhaps a temporary cover from the the upper arms to the PT frame out of something flexible like used conveyor belting that could be long enough and flex enough, but stop things coming your way. Just my $0.02...

Do you have a photo of the forestry mulch with something to size it for us?

All the best,

Peter

Couple of pictures showing some of the chunks on the hillside and the depth of the mulch relative to the cutting blade. The body of the tape measure is 3.5" tall.

I raised and tilted the deck as far as it would go in both directions. The problem is the discharge area is directed towards the operator if I drop the deck down to cutting height, but attempt to raise it to clear obstacles.

The blade tips are pretty close to the edge of the deck. Any discharge chute would have to clear the blade tips and not contact the lift arms when the deck is raised. The edge of the deck already hits the lift arms when the deck is raised and tilted backwards.

For those interested, I've included a picture of the underside of the deck. IMO, this is a light duty brush cutter. My J-Bars have thicker blades and bolts.

I timed how long it takes for the treadle to respond after initial startup before the machine will move. It took 3.5 minutes this morning. That doesn't seem normal to me?
depth.JPG

chunks.JPG
blade tip rear.JPGtilt forward dropped.JPGunderside sm.jpg

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #84  
I'd inch my way over that stuff and it would be gone for eternity.

As for you time, I think you have the brake tender? If so, I can't help you. Sorry.

Does brake tender mean having the auto brake that applies itself when the PT isn't moving forward or reverse? I turned the brake off at the switch and felt it disengage, but it was still 3.5 minutes before the PT would move forward after being started.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #86  
Does brake tender mean having the auto brake that applies itself when the PT isn't moving forward or reverse? I turned the brake off at the switch and felt it disengage, but it was still 3.5 minutes before the PT would move forward after being started.
Talk to Terry. That seems too long, even allowing for an outside temperature in the high 30s, but perhaps air in the system plus cold might do it. I don't know. Terry will have the best ideas.

You might try looking in the oil reservoir (take the cap off) with a flashlight bright enough to see the bottom. Then start it and see if you see bubbles. If you do, a suction hose may be loose.

Once you get to ten or so hours, I think that it is a good idea to go over every single hydraulic connection and tighten them. The pressure and hot cold cycles may have loosened some.

All the best,

Peter

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #87  
I have started my tractor in below freezing weather and it takes a minute for the engine to run smoothly. But it can move forwards or backwards. It is not normal to have a 3 - 4 minute delay to pedal movement. But everything responds slowly until the oil warms up. So I can be moving forward and it will not stop/reverse immediately so I have to plan accordingly.

Ken

I called Terry a week ago to talk about the delay in moving after start up, but haven't heard back. In the meantime, now I am seeing oil on the rim of one of the rear wheels which I am guessing may be a leak in the wheel motor at 8 hours?

wheel oil.jpg

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #89  
I would check to see where the oil is coming from to the best of your abilities. I would use the bucket to lift the front end, put enough support(s) under the front axle frame area to support the tractor safely, and then take the wheel off. It may be the hydraulic hose on the outboard end of the motor. At the moment, I can't recall if it is a drain or brake hose, but I think it is the brake. If your brakes aren't working (well), a loose / leaking fitting there might also explain the slow to move issue.

I would call Terry Estep again, and keep calling until you get through to him. He is often out in the workshop and warehouse, but not all day.

All the best,

Peter

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #90  
It is not uncommon to have a hydraulic fitting loosen during shipping as well as from operating a tractor.

Ken