Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it!

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #21  
Cutting is the easy part. Finding a place to sticker the wood out of the rain can be a hassle. Green boards weigh much more if handling by hand. The romance of owning a portable band mill quickly wore off for me. I recently had a guy offer me good money for my Baker mill and I seriously thought about selling. My biggest headache is if the Honda sits for any length of time I can spend half a day removing the carb and cleaning plus trying to remember where all the springs and linkages go.
I run my carb dry after each use. If there isn't already a fuel shutoff, I'd install one if there is room for it.

As far as talking OP out of buying a sawmill, it's just time consuming to cut and saw wood into dimension lumber.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #22  
It is an AWFUL idea, AWFUL GOOD. My Woodmizer 10 (plus a bunch blades) was about $4K back in 2012. But I've got plenty of space to store it and wood to dry.
Note - unless you like wood that curls and twists stay away from sweet gum, it's pretty but will twist a lot.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #23  
I got a Huson Sawyer mill in April. Since then I have cut over 1000 bd ft of white and red oak. I did build a solar kiln out of 2x4s and plywood left over by the carpenters who built my house. They are work to use but the lumber will be used for book shelves and a chicken coop. I have a few other project planned.

Attachments

• 20230622_130305.jpg
    20230622_130305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230921_165831.jpg
    20230921_165831.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
   / Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #24  
Do it. Do add the solar kiln to the plans, and definitely work out how to drain the fuel tank and the carburetor after use.

I would keep an eye out for a planer at auctions locally. It makes a world of difference. The mill down the road may be a better option for you.

All the best,

Peter

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #26  
I should never look at threads like this......
I've wanted a mill since long before TBN started. At one time I had complete parts for an old circular mill but it was way too worn out to use. I finally bit the bullet and ordered mine, after selling a piece of land. Unfortunately my age is catching up to me. I wish I had bought it when I was the OP's age, I would have gotten a lot more use from it.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it!
I keep 2 people that bought a lower end manual band mill with similar plans. They both came to the conclusion that milling generic construction lumber was too much work. Milling hardwood for woodworking that’s much more valuable was a different story.
Yeah, that makes sense. I am sure I will be milling plenty of 1x and 2x stuff but that is not the main reason I want it. The majority of the stuff I have in mind is wood trim/accent wood for the addition, nice looking stuff to make faux beams for the vaulted ceiling addition, large timbers for a timber framed covered patio, timbers for a timber framed pavilion at the property, etc. Things that would be extra expensive at the local hardwood lumber mill. I think with those projects alone this thing will pay for itself.

/ Want to buy a sawmill - Talk me out of it! #28  
I've wanted a mill since long before TBN started. At one time I had complete parts for an old circular mill but it was way too worn out to use. I finally bit the bullet and ordered mine, after selling a piece of land. Unfortunately my age is catching up to me. I wish I had bought it when I was the OP's age, I would have gotten a lot more use from it.
Funny, when you are finally able to afford all the toys you have wanted all your life, now, you are too old to play with them.....:confused: I am in the same boat.