How to Move a Large Tool Box

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Wifey and I are moving 1 hour south of our current location. We are moving the boxes and clutter ourselves with our 3/4 ton pickup truck and 2 trailers. We are hiring a local moving Company to move the Furniture and large heavy items - like 4 tool boxes.

1 tool box in particular is a 6' x 6' x 2' 2-piece Husky Tool Box in an adjacent shed. I bought it new and it came on a couple skids and delivered to my house. I just emptied it and was almost unable to pick it up with my LG 25hp CUT. Since it can pick up over 1,000#, this was an eye-opener. I then tried to move the tool box and the rear wheels could not grab the gravel, so I had to engage 4wd to get the tool box moved to the Garage staging area.

How can I expect the moving Company to get the large and heavy tool box into their truck? Should I expect them to have a winch and an anchor point? Should I remove the top portion of the tool box? Any experience and input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #2  
You don't have a front end loader and forks on anything?

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #3  
I had so much shop equipment and machinery, that when I moved into this house years ago, I hired a rigging company. They sent four trucks and two crews, split roughly equally for house and shop. The rigging crew for the shop brought a heavy-duty forklift, as some of my machines weighed several thousand pounds each, and we just picked up the tool chests and set them directly on the truck with the forklift.

If moving on my own, I'd just unload the damn thing into milk crates or totes. Easier to move a dozen 60# milk crates and an empty 150 lb. tool chest, than loaded. Maybe even separate upper and lower cabinets, for easy lifting.

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #4  
Split it, subdivide it.
I've been moving down to Mississippi for a decade. I've had to break down a lot of stuff into smaller packages.

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #5  
Empty out the tool box. Like winterDeere said. You dont want to take a chance on all your tools getting spilled/jostled/lost anyway.

Do you have SSQA on your XJ2025? And pallet forks? Proper rear ballast? You already have the means to do this properly, if so.

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #6  
Empty out the tool box. Like winterDeere said. You dont want to take a chance on all your tools getting spilled/jostled/lost anyway.

Do you have SSQA on your XJ2025? And pallet forks? Proper rear ballast? You already have the means to do this properly, if so.
I just emptied it and was almost unable to pick it up with my LG 25hp CUT.

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #7  
Oh duh. haha. Yes, separate the two pieces then. Make it lighter however you need to. Still curious about your lifting setup (forks/ballast)

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box
I had so much shop equipment and machinery, that when I moved into this house years ago, I hired a rigging company. They sent four trucks and two crews, split roughly equally for house and shop. The rigging crew for the shop brought a heavy-duty forklift, as some of my machines weighed several thousand pounds each, and we just picked up the tool chests and set them directly on the truck with the forklift.

If moving on my own, I'd just unload the damn thing into milk crates or totes. Easier to move a dozen 60# milk crates and an empty 150 lb. tool chest, than loaded. Maybe even separate upper and lower cabinets, for easy lifting.
I used more than a dozen 5 gallon pails to load up the contents of the tool box. I can separate the upper and lower with the understanding the crew will need to restack at the new location as I do not have the resource to restore. Big reason for moving is due to deteriorating health and ADA access.

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box
Oh duh. haha. Yes, separate the two pieces then. Make it lighter however you need to. Still curious about your lifting setup (forks/ballast)
I have forks. However, I had to remove my 3-pt hitch PHD to haul away as my new place does not have a shed yet. I miss the ballast.

Yooper Dave

/ How to Move a Large Tool Box #10  
Any other 3-pt attachments you could put on for ballast? Pretty important when lifting heavy.

Too bad you have to change your user name to "northern wisconsin Dave" now. Farewell to MI eh