Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer #11  
I have need to move large amounts of yard waste (tree trimmings, shrubs with root balls, tens of thousands of walnuts, etc.) from my property to a mulching facility. I also use this trailer for moving mulch, crushed stone, compost, logs... you name it.

With that kind of volume, it sounds like you need a dump trailer.

15 yds of horse manure.

0815231033a.jpg

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer
This was posted in another thread, but I haven't used one. Yard Glider (Drag Mat, Stone Boat, Yard Sled)
I had forgotten about seeing these things awhile back. They look nice, probably even overkill, but nothing anywhere near the size I need.

May also want to consider the weight of this liner since you may have to move it by hand when placing it on the trailer floor.

Old combine or swather draper head canvas might work if you can find 6 ft wide.
That's an interesting idea, but would mean needing a material that can not only withstand dragging, but actually partly lifting the weight of what's in the trailer. It would have to have a very strong attachment at the rear, and I'd have to remove it everytime I use the trailer for moving logs (primary use) or my tractor or mower.

My original concept was to lay this down flush with the tailgate, and maybe buy something 3 feet longer than the trailer, so I could lay it up and over the front wall. This way, when dragging out, there's a "tail" of material to catch what will inevitably drag on the trailer sides. Not perfect, but I'd bet it gets 90% to 95% of every load out and onto the ground.

Here's the trailer, BTW:

IMG_0534.JPG

With that kind of volume, it sounds like you need a dump trailer.
lol... occasionally. But I already have FOUR trailers, I'm running out of places to park them. This little landscape trailer is a good compromise, when I need to move a tractor or mower, and for hauling logs (my primary use of it), as well as this yard debris duty.

Also, dump trailers are pretty heavy, I think. Might force a vehicle upgrade. This 7k landscape trailer tows pretty comfortably behind a 1/2 ton with brake controller.

Get a slide in bed liner and cut it to fit your needs. Have a 2x4 bolted to it and attach eye bolts to the 2x4. They are pretty tough and will last for years.

May also want to consider the weight of this liner since you may have to move it by hand when placing it on the trailer floor.

Old combine or swather draper head canvas might work if you can find 6 ft wide.
oldnslo beat me to it, but a bed liner is awful big to store when not in use. This thing will probably get used just a few times per year, the trailer is used for other stuff most of the time. I'm thinking something I can roll up and stuff into the rafters in my barn, out of the way.

Will check out combine or swather draper head canvas. Never heard of this stuff!

I just contacted Rowe conveyor, as they make conveyors with 72" wide belting. Let's see what they have, and what it costs. Also thought of regular chain link drag mats for tractors, but I've never seen one 72" wide x 20' long, and can't imagine rolling that up and stuffing it into any small space.

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer #16  
I once unloaded a 16' utility trailer of manure by dragging a long piece of carpet out from the trailer. I got the carpet free from a carpet store that had removed it from a customer's house to take to the dump. The trick was to lay a piece of chain under the carpet before loading the manure. Then I wrapped the chain around the whole thing to make a big loop I could pull out.

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer #17  
Why don't you just cut a six ft log and lay cross ways in front of trailer with a chain tied to center and run to rear. That and a push broom will clean your trailer every time. It will mostly clean that trailer out every time. It doesn't do too good with plain dirt.

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer #18  
I've had success in the past unloading brush by putting a pallet with two sturdy ropes, several feet longer than the trailer bed, tied to it. Before loading stand the pallet up at the front of the trailer and lay the ropes on the floor out the back.

To unload hook the rope ends to something, I used a tree. Then drive away or I'd guess pull the ropes.

Why don't you just cut a six ft log and lay cross ways in front of trailer with a chain tied to center and run to rear.n dirt.

I've had success in the past unloading brush by putting a pallet with two sturdy ropes...
Combining these two ideas, I think we have a solution. Next time, I'm laying a pair of pallets on the floor in the front of the trailer, with a chain looped thru them. When I get to the dump site, just tie loader or truck to chain, and drag the whole mess out.

I welded drop stands to the rear corners of this trailer, so with the tongue jack I can jack it up on three stable corners. This lets me disconnect it from the truck, if a loader isn't freely available, to do stuff like this. I always chock the trailer wheels when pulling on it, whether it's connected to the truck or not.

/ Conveyor floor / tarp for trailer #20  
Another friend of mine does the same to unload roofing shingles at the dump, but he uses 2 tires instead of a pallet. His method is also to drive a steel rod in the ground to chain off that and pull the entire trailer with his truck. I should have asked how he gets the rod out of the ground, but forgot to ask.