3 point rising up

/ 3 point rising up #1  

Shepstone

Tractor
CG1710
High guys my 2018 Massey gc 1710 has an issue where the 3 point won’t stay down. I initially thought it was because in the winter when using a scraper blade it was to light and the snow would push the blade up, but I’ve now got a tiller that weighs almost 600 lbs and it’s doing the same thing. I have to constantly hold down the 3 point lever in the down position or the tiller will raise up. It’s getting frustrating, is there an adjustment that I’m missing? Thanks all.

/ 3 point rising up #2  
Not enough info here to know what exactly is causing your issue. One thing is certain: the 3pt does not rise without hydraulic pressure via a valve which SHOULD be controlled by that position lever. It would seem to me you have some kind of failure of the valve being controlled by that lever. Sorry cannot help. Do not own a GC. Surely others will come on here and give you a helpful answer.

/ 3 point rising up
Thanks for the response, Hmm, ok so when I use the tiller I lower it down to ground and start moving forward, then it will on its own raise up a few inches, so I push the lever down again, if it gets raised up from going over a hump or pushed up by hard dirt , it won’t go back down, and will stay raised, so I’m either having to keep an eye on it all the time to make sure its down or drive with one hand holding the lever down, neither of which is a comfortable situation.

/ 3 point rising up #4  
The GC's do not have a Draft Control mechanism do they? I thought not, which is why I did not bring it up earlier. If your tractor had Draft Control that might be causing the symptoms. If there is draft control make sure it is shut off.

/ 3 point rising up #5  
No draft control on a CG.

Are you sure the 3PT is moving up?

I deal with this all the time with my snow blower on my humpty bumpty driveway/yard. It only goes down as far as it can. Then if the front wheels hit a dip and the back wheels hit a bump it brings the implement goes up and needs to be lowered some more. There is no "float" so I have to hold the lever down until I've gone past the first big dip.

Might not be your problem, it could actually be raising, maybe you have a leaking valve or something allowing fluid through.

/ 3 point rising up
You maybe right, but I can lower the implement all the way over an edge where it’s hanging in the air before moving forward to engage the ground so I know it’s fully lowered. But as soon as it engages it has to be lowered again, it maybe designed that way. but if it is it would be annoying for anyone with a 3 point mower deck going over bumpy terrain. I will try adjusting the rate of drop knob and see if that makes a difference. i would think there is some kind of float that keeps it down but there’s no indication on the lift and lower lever.

/ 3 point rising up #7  
There is no float, and it is not designed to go back up. Once lowered to a specific point it should continue to return to the point. When the ground pushes it up it only pushes on the lower arms. This can be tested with your implement off. If you lower the 3PT all the way you can manually lift the arms about 1 foot and then they will drop down to the same position. I don't know what would happen if the ground pushed it up past that 1 foot of play. Are you tilling over hills that are more than 1 foot high?

/ 3 point rising up
The lower arms do float but when it’s hooked up to the hitch it’s all connected to the hydraulic raising arms that raise and lower it meaning everything gets pushed up. Maybe I’m hooking it up wrong? Any way for the time being I’ve installed and L bracket that holds up the lever spring that makes the lever return to middle position, it only affects the lowering not the raising, so now the lever stays down when lowered. So now it “floats”.

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 123
   / 3 point rising up #9  
No draft control on a CG.

Are you sure the 3PT is moving up?

I deal with this all the time with my snow blower on my humpty bumpty driveway/yard. It only goes down as far as it can. Then if the front wheels hit a dip and the back wheels hit a bump it brings the implement goes up and needs to be lowered some more. There is no "float" so I have to hold the lever down until I've gone past the first big dip.

Might not be your problem, it could actually be raising, maybe you have a leaking valve or something allowing fluid through.
That reminds me to mention to the OP: All modern 3pt systems are held or moved downward only by gravity and can apply only upward force. He probably knows that ?

/ 3 point rising up
Ya it’s gravity down, just seems odd that a 591lb implement won’t stay down by gravity, it’s good now that I modified the spring on the lever. I still think it’s supposed to stay down by itself without having to hold the lever down all the time.