Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors
With my luck analog no longer supported!

Moms Corolla has been a great car… only issue if one could even call it that is the TPS light now two times.

A battery, brake pads, fluid just normal wear items and it always passes smog testing!

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #23  
There is not much in a TPMS service kit; two of the most common types below.
The activation scanner tools run from $10 up over $300. I haven't had to use mine since my wife got rid of her Chevy Equinox for a Jeep Comanche the newer Chrysler products learn automatically when tires are swapped or rotated. Which is every Fall and Spring for me, snow and summer swaps.

1688833469455.png

1688833551704.png

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors
It seems like a new profit center for tire dealers.

With $5 disposals fees pet tire are in addition to the state recycle fee collected... tire invoice reads like a cell phone bill with all the added charges and fees.

I've taken my old tires home for a free once a year pickup... saved $40 that year...

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #26  
Reality
If you don't buy a new car each decade ..... the sensors have batteries which ... in my experience die in about ten years.
My solution on our two '07 vehicles ..... some black electricians tape for the TPMS light and I bought a Milwaukee M18 tire inflator for weekly checks.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #27  
My truck always has the TPMS light on, with tires all inflated properly. I'm not wasting money to fix it.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #28  
In NH if the TPMS light is on they won't give you an inspection sticker...
They aren't supposed to here if any warnings are lit up but if you drive a GM pickup you get used to the check engine light always being on. One coworker took his truck back repeatedly until they told him to just deal with it because they couldn't find the problem. Another was telling me that when he started the job and was issued a new truck the light came on before he got home... with about 60 miles on the truck. He took it back and had it "fixed" but that didn't last so he just drove it.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #29  
My truck always has the TPMS light on, with tires all inflated properly. I'm not wasting money to fix it.
What kind of truck? That's one thing about GMs, you can "relearn" the tires after they are rotated or when a new sensor is put in.
It gives you something to do while you are waiting for the wrecker again...

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #30  
I find the TPMS systems very handy. When I get a vehicle that has them I compare the indication with my tire gauges.
So far all the vehicles have been within a pound or two of my gauges. Once I'm comfortable with the system I don't pick up a gauge for that vehicle again unless a tire looks soft but the display says it's good. I actually added a system to my Harley.
Also I have had very little trouble with them and I have two sets of tires and rims for my vehicles with sensors in all the wheels.
My Chevys I had to have a tool to learn the sensor to the wheel position so the read out was correct, which was a bit of a pain.