Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #11  
The 2011 Toyota Tire Pressure Sensor illuminated on the dash and sure enough I found a nail in the tread.

Took it back to Goodyear and agreed to buy 2 new tires and Pressure Sensor “Kits” plus their expensive mount and balance… I declined the $30 each tire road hazard.

Went to pick up and light still illuminated and was told to drive it 20 miles which I did and light still on… checked air pressure on all 5 tires and spot on so returned to Goodyear same day and they did a reset and drove home…

Next day driving and it came back on and called and told to bring it in and on my way.

Told I would have to leave it as they were real busy and they would try to get to it.

Well they didn’t and I picked it up.

Tempted to just check air pressure manually each Saturday and not waste anymore time after I learned they would have to charge me $80 each to replace if determined to defective.
Discount Tire replaces the sensors for $60.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors
   / Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #13  
Used to be, that was the case in Texas as well. Any dash warning light on would fail. Our safety inspections are going away in September, I think. However, there will still be a $7.50 charge for the registration sticker (on top of the annual registration fee). A lot of the independent inspection stations made a big stink about it but most of them were scamming owners for additional costs for repairing. Like $50-80 just for replacing a taillight bulb or wiper blades. And don't get me started on the emission test. In this region, it wasn't required anyway--We're clean here. :D
When emissions tests started in the 1970s, they were needed because many of those old cars needed tune ups or carburetor work to run clean. With the much cleaner new vehicles, I think that continuing to require emissions testing is a big scam. But the testing industry is entrenched and probably has political influence.

Not to mention the small independent shops invested a lot of money for testing and dyno equipment.

We test 1976 and newer and codified when rolling exemption eliminated.

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #15  
Now we are talking… I wonder if these are year/manufacturer specific?

Most tire sensor setting devices can handle a range of sensors.

Do you have an OBD2 reader? Many Toyotas know which tire is which and you can get that info from OBD2. So you can see which sensors are not reporting.

But 99% chance it's the new sensors that are the problem, and the shop just didn't program them correctly (or worse, they're not compatible with Toyota but that's unlikely).

Growing up we always had a tire guy… and he changed locations and people followed because he was very honest.

Rich was the kind of guy you could send your wife or daughter to for tires and brakes without worry…

He had no problems telling a struggling college student you’re ok now but before winter get those two tires replaced… or he would have new car takeoffs on occasion at a very fair price… 43 years he was the business.

He retired during the pandemic like so many and it’s getting harder to find these relationships at least in my trade area.

Most tire sensor setting devices can handle a range of sensors.

Do you have an OBD2 reader? Many Toyotas know which tire is which and you can get that info from OBD2. So you can see which sensors are not reporting.

But 99% chance it's the new sensors that are the problem, and the shop just didn't program them correctly (or worse, they're not compatible with Toyota but that's unlikely).
Loaned my reader to nephew and he left it out in the rain… glad it was not an expensive one!

My plan is to be at the shop
Monday when it opens… not going to waste a Saturday…

/ Vehicle Tire Pressure Sensors #18  
Already sent email to Goodyear corporate in Ohio…

It does seem getting even simple things efficiently done are more difficult Post Pandemic.

Working at a hospital we dropped mask requirements some time ago but city offices still require masks for in person visits… topic for another time.

Good luck! Hope you get someone's attention. TPMS has actually saved me from being stuck along the side of the highway a couple times.

Seems like the average level of incompetence in service-related jobs just keeps increasing. (Just like the standardized test scores keep decreasing.) It's very concerning. (Fortunately, I haven't seen this with health care. Still get excellent expert service there.)

On your "mask" comment -- Interesting that my doctor's office quit wearing masks months ago. However my dentist office still wears them. No rhyme or reason . . .

I was drawing the same conclusion in my mind… the hospital never closed and I still went to work everyday knowing sick people were walking or transported in the door.

A few standards were suspended such as having to throw away meds and supplies because of a printed date when no replacement was available through supply chain but this has all returned to normal.

My friends reaped a bounty of 3M N95 industrial masks that were approved for medical in times of supply shortage but that exemption passed so I was tasked with disposal and I did… my woodworker and metal shop fabricator friends were thrilled!

If only I had a crystal ball…