Busted rear diff dodge 2500

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #81  
   / Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #82  
Meanwhile, I sure miss my '80 359 with a 3406.View attachment 803778
Nice truck! I had one in a '77 model w/small cam 400. I did have to haul it home one time...

scan0007.jpg

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #83  
Nick,
Your old Ford is still one of the coolest builds - the original Ford/Cummins.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #85  
Nice truck! I had one in a '77 model w/small cam 400. I did have to haul it home one time...

Thanks.

Mine never left me stranded. thankfully. Had an alternator bracket bolt break, a turbo quit (luckily only a mile from home), and a flat tire trailer. That was it. Not bad for some 20 years of driving it.

These are my before and after photos. Old setup vs. current, same place (Meadow Lake) in northern California.
trek 030.jpg

DSCN2741.JPG

Ironically, the Pete got slightly better mileage than the Ram does.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #87  
Nice! Love a single drive class 8.
It was born a single axle, but had been converted to a tandem when I bought it. Quickly learned that a tandem setup with air ride is less than ideal when off the beaten path.

Put a No-Spin in the rear diff, which helped, but also realized that eight tires were four too many for my usage. Shortened the frame a little and swapped in an R170 with a No-Spin.

Losing four (aluminum) wheels made a very noticeably difference in acceleration, and I don't think I got it stuck a single time afterwards. Happiness is being single, as they say.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #88  
Another plus: there are so many Ford trucks in the boneyard with trashed automatic transmissions that finding a used differential should be easy.
Take a look at any Dodge and Ford dealership. One is full of trucks and one is mostly empty. Considering they cost more, there's a reason for it. Dodge makes a nice comfortable truck, but they just aren't as much of a "truck" as the other.

Nicer ride yes, better at being a truck No.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #89  
No they just claim they do sell more. I for one will never, NEVER own a Ford again, in the past I have had 4 Ford's over the years and each and everyone, without exception, was a black hole. Causing great damage to the bank account before I could get rid of them. Each time I bought one it was because the wife talked me into it and I figured my luck should surely be better the next time. BOY was I wrong and finally now she agrees NEVER another Ford on the place unless it is a tractor and they don't build those any longer.

I know some people have good luck owning a Ford, my SIL claims to be but I have seen his needed repairs so I don't agree but it is his money. I have run GM trucks until the wheels should have fallen off but would not, back in the 70's and 80's the bodies would though. Love the Toyota's, now there is a truck that just keeps on going but sadly they do not make anything but a half ton.
My experience is very different then yours.

I do however like and respect GM trucks, just prefer the style of Ford More

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #90  
Take a look at any Dodge and Ford dealership. One is full of trucks and one is mostly empty. Considering they cost more, there's a reason for it. Dodge makes a nice comfortable truck, but they just aren't as much of a "truck" as the other.

Nicer ride yes, better at being a truck No.
:poop:

My Ram will outpull what diesel Fords I had and the new ones, too. Dodge doesn’t make trucks anymore BTW and they haven’t for over 10 years.
I know I made the right choice and I bet you have never owned a Ram with a Cummins to see why. They make just as good if not better & tougher truck than Ford.

Here’s what 48,000lbs looks like towed by a Ram. When I’m done, I can park it in my house garage.

1685964125104.jpeg