Busted rear diff dodge 2500

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #1  

Fixastuff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey
I was towing the excavator 3 hours away to a job I'll be working on for a month and a half. About half way there rolling along 60mph with cruise on, see a red light ahead and tap the brake to start coasting to a stop the hear a pop from the rear.

Press go pedal and it just revs,(with some clunking from rear) no drive. Stop at light and no go, put it in 4wd and drove into parking lot. Look under truck and diff fluid is pouring out, gear busted a hole in the casing.

Replacing it with reman rear axle with a five year warranty. Luckily I was able to rent a suitable truck(for a month) went back to pick up excavator, take to job site, then picked up broke truck and towed back to shop in my hometown, the picked up plow and hauled to job site. Was a long day was driving and towing stuff/loading unloading from 9am to 11:30pm. Having your own business can be tough but even days like this it's better than working for someone else!
20230518_112144.jpg
20230518_112137.jpg
20230518_172532.jpg

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #2  
What kind of truck, diesel, gas, 2500, 3500, how heavy were you towing?? It looks like the front of the case. Maybe the pinion went out from a bad bearing or it just broke.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500
What kind of truck, diesel, gas, 2500, 3500, how heavy were you towing?? It looks like the front of the case. Maybe the pinion went out from a bad bearing or it just broke.
Ram 2500 with the cummins. Was towing around 15k. 17.5 is max rating conventional trailer or 20 something gooseneck. Its weird to me that it broke during deceleration instead of acceleration. Wasn't making any noise or whine before going out either. I had the engine brake on maybe I shouldn't use it?

Only had the truck a couple of months probably should have changed the fluid when I got it. Too late now. Lol.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #8  
Ok

I was just wondering.

Last year we bought a 2020 Ram 2500, but with a 6.4 gas engine. It has about 72k miles and about 9k miles of towing according to the trailer tow counter.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #9  
Consider a 'cushion' type truck hitch to reduce the f/a bucking that's hard on the hypoid cut type gears. They even have them now for goose neck hookups for the very same reason.

/ Busted rear diff dodge 2500 #10  
Consider a 'cushion' type truck hitch to reduce the f/a bucking that's hard on the hypoid cut type gears. They even have them now for goose neck hookups for the very same reason.
Interesting I hadn’t considered shock loads when I got my Convert-A-Ball AM-SC-V4 2-1/2 Inch Heavy-Duty Cushioned Ball Mount - 4 Inch Drop.