Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #21  
I cannot imagine in the future, lamenting having 4WD as an option. I can definitely imagine wishing for 4WD if you don't.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #22  
We had a small Mule 2WD for a short while - was a pain. Wet grass on a steep hill, it would spin. Going down a steep hill (especially if wet) it would slide unless you gave it the gas so the rear wheels would not lock and slide. Mostly on our hills you don't want to Gas it.
We have had another 6 SxS all 4x4 - never had an issue with any of them and NEVER would even think of getting a 2x4 machine. The little 2WD mule was cheap and I thought it would be fine for the wife to use in the garden. Well, it was but then when she wanted to do other things it would have to be parked so we could get a 4wd machine out so it sort of begged the question of, why have it. Got sold and I can't say I ever missed it.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #23  
I like all wheels driving. (y)
6x6417.jpg

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?
You never see snow or mud?
I see some mud but my soil is mostly sandy loam where I am located. Snow, every once in a while. I figured if I got the side by side stuck I would just get the tractor and pull it out. If I get one it will probably be used not new. Will probably get the 4wd just to know I have it if I need it.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #25  
I see some mud but my soil is mostly sandy loam where I am located. Snow, every once in a while. I figured if I got the side by side stuck I would just get the tractor and pull it out.
Put a winch on it. You can pull on other things to get unstuck.

If the side by side is stuck in mud, you may not want to bring a heavier tractor close to try to pull it out.

The winch might be a big help - especially if there is tree nearby. You'll find other uses for that winch as well. Our side by side gets a lot of use. We are on different terrain - nothing but hills and mountains. Would not be without the winch.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #27  
We did look at the Yamaha Warrior or Viking? and considered the Kymco, as well as the JD Gator. Gator we looked at specs for had a top speed of something like 30 mph or so, the Yamaha was wider then we wanted; the Kymco was fine; just didn't know the brand; and push come to shove; I trust Honda engines, and I liked the idea of no belt drive. Polaris, if that belt gets wet, your done till it dries out; but they do have a turf mode.

Honda is known, or was known, for not having sufficient charging for accessories, unless you add a 2nd battery; if that's important for you.

Edit; Don't know if any UTVs/SxSs have the option, but if any come with 120V factory hardwired inverter, that would be Huge. Don't know if the alternators they out in them would support a decent one. If you have a 40 or 50 lbs generator, like the Honda Whisper, might not be an issue; but my generator has too weight 300 lbs with fuel;
Don't the Honda use the same clutch as an old three wheeler? I've heard of problems. Like it ain't enough clutch for real use. My dad bought a belt drive in 07 or 09, thousands of miles per year on the farm. Pulls 16' trailer you can haul a truck on. Still the same belt. I know "if the belt gets wet" , but I ain't never done seen one get wet. They are sealed off. I guess if you swamp it and leave it under water it will eventually get wet. Notice I didn't say a name on the belt drives, just don't knock the belt drive system. I'd much rather swap a belt than pay someone to go internally and rebuild a clutch.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #28  
Let me put it to you this way: Save the money
by not getting the 4X4 and then YOU WILL BE
KICKING YOURSELF IN THE ASS THAT YOU
DIDN'T GET 4X4. BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW
WHEN YOU WILL NEED IT!

willy

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #29  
Put a winch on it. You can pull on other things to get unstuck.

If the side by side is stuck in mud, you may not want to bring a heavier tractor close to try to pull it out.

The winch might be a big help - especially if there is tree nearby. You'll find other uses for that winch as well. Our side by side gets a lot of use. We are on different terrain - nothing but hills and mountains. Would not be without the winch.
He may have a flip flop winch.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #30  
Yes, you will probably regret not getting 4x4 and turf mode.

A few months ago I bought a Polaris Ranger 1000 which has turf, diff lock and 4x4 modes. It can also tow up to 2,500. It's great and very useful. I had a quad for years so the Ranger is the upgrade.