Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #31  
I have a Honda Pioneer 500. Sadly the rear differential is permanently locked which means that NOT ripping up the lawn requires careful forethought. I understand that the newer models do have an open selectable differential.

The Pioneer 500 track is only 48" wide which I had to restrict for my use due to narrow bridges and trails on my acreage. It also simply sips gasoline, so that has never been an issue with me.

I also switched tires to 26"; should have gone to 27" to completely correct the speedo to correct mph. The 2 to 4 wheel drive is totally selectable. I think the selectable 4wd is well worth whatever the cost. I did add a 3500# wench to mine, which I've had to use a number of times to both either get out of mud or to pull my mower out :). All of those times required 4wd.

As others have said, oil & filter changes are doable but not "easy". Certainly not worth having a dealer do it for XXX$$ for 1 hour of easy work. I've never heard of anyone actually needing the valves adjusted after 50 hours of use. Sure - the dealers give you all that lip about how important that is, but I've not found that to be true. Mine has never had one minute of trouble or needing repairs. I'm thinking that their story is for extra profit.

Cost has gone out the roof, supposedly due to the demand. I have my doubts... I paid $12K total OTD "back then". That included dealer prep, paperwork, and installing the windshield, canopy & wench.
Thats one big Wench!

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #32  
Don't the Honda use the same clutch as an old three wheeler? I've heard of problems. Like it ain't enough clutch for real use. My dad bought a belt drive in 07 or 09, thousands of miles per year on the farm. Pulls 16' trailer you can haul a truck on. Still the same belt. I know "if the belt gets wet" , but I ain't never done seen one get wet. They are sealed off. I guess if you swamp it and leave it under water it will eventually get wet. Notice I didn't say a name on the belt drives, just don't knock the belt drive system. I'd much rather swap a belt than pay someone to go internally and rebuild a clutch.
No, they do not use the same clutch as the 3-wheeler. It is way different as it is a duel clutch system, that basically selects the nest gear before the shift is made. It is a very good system and really has very few problems. The main "issues" have been in the selectors on the Talon and people not being fulling in gear but with proper adjustment, it is corrected. Also, Honda changed a few parts recently to help upgrade the DCT on the Talon (perhaps on the Pioneer but. I am not sure about that).
Belt drives can be fine - Kawasaki is solid, especially on the Mule PRO's, Yamaha has an excellent system. I am personally not a fan of the Can Am or Polaris systems as you see a lot more problems or complaints with them but with more maintenance they will do the job. Seems the utility Polaris/Can-Am holds up better than the RZRs and Mavericks.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #33  
I see some mud but my soil is mostly sandy loam where I am located. Snow, every once in a while. I figured if I got the side by side stuck I would just get the tractor and pull it out. If I get one it will probably be used not new. Will probably get the 4wd just to know I have it if I need it.
I imagine a used 2wd must be pretty cheap compared to a 4wd one? It sure is a strong negotiating point to knock the price down to something realistic.
If you are buying new, the extra bit that 4wd costs will be worth it at resale time or if you use it off the property. I guess if the main use is as a golf cart or motorized wheel barrow and you are using in mellow terrain similar to golf course, then 2wd should be fine. I find I use my atv to pull stuff and a trailer in the woods and 4wd is required quite often.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #35  
The 4x4 function is best used before you need it.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #36  
Thats one big Wench!
Big Wench:
big_Wench_Claire.jpg
Big Winch:

Large-Hydraulic-Winch-From-Ellsen.jpg

Don't get them confused. :)

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #37  
I am personally not a fan of the Can Am or Polaris systems as you see a lot more problems or complaints with them but with more maintenance they will do the job. Seems the utility Polaris/Can-Am holds up better than the RZRs and Mavericks.

That's due to the idiots who buy them to abuse them. I bought my Can-am a couple years ago and immediately began learning what I could about them on the internet forums. The Can-am Defender comes with 27" tires, and that's what the drivetrain was engineered to handle. But it seems that one of the first questions most new buyers ask is "how big a tire can I put on this thing?". Apparently it is possible to fit a 30" tire stock - and some put on portal axles and go a lot bigger. How's this look to you?
272607767_147949737590255_8163448812285079655_n.jpg

And here's how they treat them:
Can am drowned.jpg

Then a short time later those same idiots are back on the forums bitching because they burned up the belt, twisted off an axle, etc., and saying what a piece of crap Can-am builds. HELLOOOOOO...it was never designed to run 40" tires! And it was never designed to be a submarine!

It seems that Can-am owners are the worst offenders at abusing their machines. I don't see owners of other makes doing this kind of crap. Leave the drivetrain stock, drive it sensibly and it will be trouble free for years.

Last edited:
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #39  
Seems the utility Polaris/Can-Am holds up better than the RZRs and Mavericks.
Likely because many Maverick and RZRs get flogged pretty hard and some can have double or triple the HP of many utility machines

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #40  
I agree DK35vince - the utility machines stick within the design spec for the belt system with room to spare.

All the sport machines get run hard BUT the Can-Am and Polaris seem to favor the high HP which I believe is part of the problem. This is where the belts become the weak spot and cause issues. All brands have people running larger tires, and even portals so that normally is not the whole problem. I run 4" larger tires on our one Honda and it caused zero issues. Why, because the machine is not run hard and Honda over designed the parts to allow for larger tires (they knew most people oversize the tires).
Portals normally reduce the gear ratio so that does help offset the larger tires being used on those machines to some extent. Well within reason that it. Generally speaking, Yamaha and Kawasaki have a slightly better-designed and more durable belt/clutch system. Honda skipped the belt and went with a duel clutch and gear system. It still has some quirks but overall is a solid design.
Anytime you design an off-road vehicle and sell it, you need to account for the "idiot factor" - you know that guy, the one that uses it as a submarine or low-flying aircraft. Some companies account for the "idiot factor" a little better than others. All the machines are fine if used within their design specs, but when they get pushed is when the weakness starts to quickly show.