Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #101  
My stumps would be a bit much for a sawzall blade I think. Most are over 36" down at the root flare
Understand, I should have said cutting the main leaders with sawzall when pulling the things out it definitely makes it easier.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #102  
Understand, I should have said cutting the main leaders with sawzall when pulling the things out it definitely makes it easier.
Now that I think about that, that's makes perfect sense! Dig down to the roots, use a sawzall to cut the roots (not the stump) and try to yank it out of the hole! I do have some nasty tap roots, but I'll try it. Thanks for the advise!

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #104  
Skip tooth square chisel chain is not for weinie saws. Takes some horses to pull it. I have it on my 075 Stihl on a 36" bar.

The 2152 is lower powered than today's pro-level 50 cc saws, so I have to wonder if the problem with needing a bigger saw is more someone trying to run a 3/8" square ground chain on a smaller saw than the fact that they are running square vs round ground.
I am running 3/8 square ground skip link on a 50cc Dolmar PS-5105 without any problems with a 20 inch bar.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #105  
I am running 3/8 square ground skip link on a 50cc Dolmar PS-5105 without any problems with a 20 inch bar.
The longer the bar, the more power a saw requires, especially with skip tooth 404 square tooth. My 075 is capable of pulling a longer bar. Great saw but heavy, bought it new and will never sell it. When it idles, sounds like an MX bike. Should gave bought an 090G but didn't.

Too bad Stihl succumbed to the noise police. I'd never buy another. I have a gutless MS too. Rarely use it. Usually use my 028WB that is 30 years old.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #106  
That is called a stump vise. You can buy them separately. Yes, they are handy. I keep one in my ammo box full of chainsaw tools and parts.
I Probably should use a closed container like an ammo box, probably wouldn't lose stuff out of an open canvas bag like I have, I like this little file kit cause it fits anywhere and everything is secure. anyways a bit of sharpening nostalgia humor my grandfather who worked in the woods for a living, once tried to teach me how to sharpen a chain many years ago on his old manual oiler poulan, being young and dumb I believe spent an hour or so watching me attempt you might think I was trying to start a campfire. When I finished I proudly went to cut rounds with him to his humorous disbelief he commented "I can't cut nicer radiuses with a jig saw" lol that was well over 30 yrs ago, discouraged, I haven't made an attempt to file my own chains until recently, and have amassed a collection of dull chains.

Attachments

• KIMG1408.JPG
    KIMG1408.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #107  
The longer the bar, the more power a saw requires, especially with skip tooth 404 square tooth. My 075 is capable of pulling a longer bar. Great saw but heavy, bought it new and will never sell it. When it idles, sounds like an MX bike. Should gave bought an 090G but didn't.

Too bad Stihl succumbed to the noise police. I'd never buy another. I have a gutless MS too. Rarely use it. Usually use my 028WB that is 30 years old.
My backup saw is a Solo 694 which is identical to the Dolmar PS-9010 running a 36 inch bar .404 round ground skip link. And starting it is like cranking a 15 hp outboard engine.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #108  
To start the 075, you must actuate the compression release or you'll leave your fingers on the recoil. No plastic on it except the top shroud. Every part is light alloy. New saws are mostly plastic today. Same deal with my 028 WB.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #109  

I modified the muffler and adjusted the carb on a Stihl. It was a pretty simple process I found on YouTube.

Kevin