pulling wire through conduit

/ pulling wire through conduit #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Calling on our electricians in Tractor Land.

I am getting ready to pull three #8s and one #10 through a 1" underground conduit. What is the best way to connect them to the fish tape for the pull? There are two 90-degree bends and one 45-degree bend. I have plenty of wire lube.

Ron

/ pulling wire through conduit #2  
Ron, not enough info. Are these already under ground and buried? Are these above ground and running thru walls? Are the 90 degree bends with access plates? Is this electrical PVC or conduit metal pipe?

What codes are applicable for your location? What grade of wires are used to understand the insulation sleeving.

/ pulling wire through conduit #4  
That sounds like a pretty miserable job especially if they’re short radius 90s but they make wire sleeves that go on the end of the wire and pinch it.

/ pulling wire through conduit #5  
IMG_2793.JPG

/ pulling wire through conduit #6  
Strip the big wires back a few inches and cut most of the strands away. Take the remaining strands and loop them through your fishtape. Tape the snot out of it but not a big dog knot. Sometimes you can get away with taping the smaller wires next to the big wires without stripping them back.

/ pulling wire through conduit #7  
Strip the big wires back a few inches and cut most of the strands away. Take the remaining strands and loop them through your fishtape. Tape the snot out of it but not a big dog knot. Sometimes you can get away with taping the smaller wires next to the big wires without stripping them back.
Second this

/ pulling wire through conduit #8  
That's going to be a tough pull. Hopefully its a short one.

/ pulling wire through conduit #9  
Na, easy pull. 1” conduit plenty big

/ pulling wire through conduit
Wires are THHN, longest pull between pull points is 70' +/-, ells are long radius, new pvc conduit buried and above ground. One end of the long pull is in a 10" at grade pull box with the 45 bend and the other is a condule, all other bends in the remaining 40 feet are through condulets. I tried one of those "Chinese" finger puller once, in the distant past, with bad results. I like Caver's idea. I actually increased the conduit size from code required 3/4' to the 1" as I knew it would be difficult. Arm chair eval now, I probably should have used 1 1/4".

Ron