PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
I have 25 acres that has been allow to grow from pasture a brush lot for about 30 years. Not adult enough to timber and want shade trees a brush hog really struggles and I do not want a dozer to come in and make more of mess. What I see the forestry mulcher
would do the job. I am not going to use it on anything bigger then 3 1/2 inches we will cut with chain saw. I have gotten a quote for a 8 hour day and they want over $2000 for say with skid steer and forestry head and that was the cheapest. I upgrading my tractor to a
JD 4066m heavy duty. So I am looking at the 3 point hitch ones and when I am done with implement I will sell. What I like about these the land is ready for planting once these things are done. I know that Baumalight makes on

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #2  
Have you looked into renting what you need?

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #4  
When I looked a couple years ago the price I found for the smallest Baumalight was $12k. It's pretty limited as far as the size of tree that it will take down. They rate it for larger trees if your tractor is HST since you can inch into the tree slowly.

You'll also be operating in reverse. That will be a pain in the neck, literally.

For a one time deal I'd go with a rental tracked skid steer. It will compress the ground a lot less than the tractor, will be able to safely go on slopes and soft ground the tractor can't handle, and will have lot more capacity for chewing up trees. And you can operate it looking forwards.

Another option is a heavy duty rotary designed for cutting down and chopping up trees. Baumalight makes one of those as do a few other companies. It should cost less and be more capable on the tractor than the drum type mulcher, though tossing material might be a problem. Someone on this site has one and posted pics and a review in the last couple years.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #5  
One can quickly rack up a $2k repair bill. Heavy equipment is used because it's heavy duty. CUTS are NOT heavy duty (and even larger tractor are no match for actual construction grade equipment). If you are OK with going slow then making a lesser-tool do the job is OK, though, again, always keep in mind that they break a lot easier than heavy duty equipment.

And there's also the issue of breaking the operator. Medical costs aren't cheap either. Rent the appropriate equipment or hire the job out.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #6  
One other thing... I've run through some pretty big stuff with my 6' RC (it's a beast) and even with a cabbed tractor the noise is nasty. Usually it's only a little here and there. NO way would want to be operating long periods of time like this.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher
Id say he already did.

One can quickly rack up a $2k repair bill. Heavy equipment is used because it's heavy duty. CUTS are NOT heavy duty (and even larger tractor are no match for actual construction grade equipment). If you are OK with going slow then making a lesser-tool do the job is OK, though, again, always keep in mind that they break a lot easier than heavy duty equipment.

And there's also the issue of breaking the operator. Medical costs aren't cheap either. Rent the appropriate equipment or hire the job out.
Yes I did looking into renting and when they asked what the limit on my credit card was I hung up the phone!!! And I am a she not a he!! Smile :)

My plan is using my new 4066M which is 16 HP more then my JD 5103. new place is wet and I needed 4WD I will cut with 5 foot brush hog. I only paid $500 for JD brush hog so I will beat the piss out that, but the I Really like how the forestry mulcher gets rid of stumps. I have Amish across the street I will offer them the bigger wood they are not to proud especially when close I will just ask them to pile brush. I do not want this clear cut I have plans for wasting time on trees just the brush. The tractor is zero percent interest rates if I can do that with the mulcher and then sell when done. This brush is just a hair bigger then you want to use a brush hog. Like i said I do not want it clear I might want to leave a few bushes and trees as I retriever training and will place ponds in the future.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #8  
Bush hog and then rent the stump grinder??

When I had to go after thick(er) brush I found that it worked much better to back into it with the bush hog raised and the top link pulled in; then lower it into the material to chop it up. I'd work up a couple of acres with the bush hog before I bought anything. It might surprise you how much you can get done with it.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #9  
Not sure on the hp needed but there are rough cut mowers that will handle 4 inch trees.

/ PTO 3 point hitch Forestry mulcher #10  
My 8' landpride is rated for 4" wood. It's a heavy duty chopper. Sure makes a racket when it chops them up too.

I apologize for referring to you as a he. Not too many 'she's' on here. Should have looked closer at your name, again I meant no harm or disrespect.