3010 Basket Case

/ 3010 Basket Case #11  
What JD tractor would you choose for a rebuilding project to end up with a usable keeper?
rScotty
I'm not fond of the JD rowcrop 10 series pto speed change gears/tiny shift pins so my vote would be for 20 series such as 3020/4020

/ 3010 Basket Case #13  
My aging eyesight only saw you state diesel & gasoline powered 3000 series engines but you didn't mention LPG AKA propane powered
Oh, I see. Yes, it could be interpreted that way. Aging is something I'm all too aware of.
For myself I kind of like propane. It's clean and tidy and old propane engines always seem cleaner with less wear on metals and on seals - especially so compared with modern gasoline.

But a propane engine is not something I'd recommend for a person with limited experience working on an unknown system indoors - i.e. winter in Alberta. Not that gasoline is all that great, but at least it is familiar.

But what about diesel? I'd say that for myself, if I was to get into an old tractor with diesel I'd do so without much worry if the tractor already had a good-running diesel in it. I probably wouldn't tackle a large older tractor with a broken diesel engine. I'd rather do a transmission....
rScotty

/ 3010 Basket Case #14  
I'm not fond of the JD rowcrop 10 series pto speed change gears/tiny shift pins so my vote would be for 20 series such as 3020/4020

The thing about the 4020 is it is just more tractor than most people have a use for. But they sure were/are popular. I've heard there are still repair shops that work on 4020s almost exclusively. A classic...but a big one.
They weigh as much as our Kubota. :)
rScotty

/ 3010 Basket Case #15  
But what about diesel? I'd say that for myself, if I was to get into an old tractor with diesel I'd do so without much worry if the tractor already had a good-running diesel in it. I probably wouldn't tackle a large older tractor with a broken diesel engine. I'd rather do a transmission....
rScotty
On subject of fuel choices after diesel I'd prefer LPG over gasoline. JD 4 & 6 cylinder rowcrop engines such as 3010/3020 posess don't perform well utilizing gasoline with ethanol in it . JD trans such as the Syncro-range is not a trans that I'd suggest for a novice technician to attempt to repair. Many special tools are required. I still remember how frustrating it was installing the four(4) springs & balls inside the synchronizer hub even when utilizing the """special cone""". Also dummy shafts are needed for installing bottom shaft in SR trans.

Last edited:
   / 3010 Basket Case #17  
Well, you have to have a gasoline engine to run either or both. Diesel engine wont do.

/ 3010 Basket Case #18  
Well, you have to have a gasoline engine to run either or both. Diesel engine wont do.
I disagree that gasoline & propane powered engines are the same. Normally propane engines have higher compression & hardened cylinder head valve seats vs gasoline engines. I agree propane can be utilized in an engine designed for gasoline but propane won't provide the same power as gasoline in a normal gasoline powered engine. FYI some engines that were powered by gasoline can also be powered by diesel. Many yrs ago for kicks & giggles I operated my JD BO on diesel that the engine was designed to operate on distalites or gasoline. Propane has been utilized in addition to diesel in a diesel engine to increase horsepower.

/ 3010 Basket Case #19  
Lets just say spark plug engines and non spark plug engines.

/ 3010 Basket Case #20  
Lets just say spark plug engines and non spark plug engines.
Some older IHC diesel engines had both spark plugs & injectors. Spark plugs on one side of cylinder head & injectors on opposite side. They starting operating on gasoline & switched over to operating on diesel