Zerk/grease nipple fix

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
I recently went to grease my Loader and Hoe and found one broken off fitting and two frozen ones.

I thought it'd be an easy fix; stop at the auto parts store and pick up some metric replacements. Well three stops and none fit.

My local Kioti dealer only has angled fittings; the straight ones are on backorder.

I managed to open the frozen ones (penetrating oil and poke with a nail).
For the broken one I filed the top flat, drilled it out with a 7/32" and since it's brass I just screwed in the standard fitting I had on hand. If it needed I was gonna tap it and used some epoxy. This will work til the correct ones come in.

DSCN1080.jpgDSCN1079.jpg

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #2  
Looks like a job well done.
I had one break on my KB2475 backhoe and could not find one. Dealer didn't stock them because they were expensive. Mine was british standard pipe, don't remember if it was tapered or parallel. I ended up removing the broken one, running a 1/8" -27 npt tap loaded with grease into the hole, the chips stayed in the tap flutes held by the grease, and then screwed in a common 1/8" npt zerk. No problems yet.

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #5  
Grainger does in store pick up if you have one close by. No shipping that way. Fastenal also has metric grease zerks. M6 on their web site retail for $0.30ea sold in packs if ten.

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #6  
After 32 years being a "weekend mechanic" nearly every grease zerk on my tractor is the standard 1/8" NPT, Aotozone, off the shelf version. Guess I voided my warranty...........:)

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #8  
They are british thread and my dealer charges 39 cents a piece so I bought 10.

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix
They are british thread and my dealer charges 39 cents a piece so I bought 10.

My dealer says they are back-ordered. I'll buy 10 if they are that cheap, but I can't imagine they will be.

/ Zerk/grease nipple fix #10  
My dealer says they are back-ordered. I'll buy 10 if they are that cheap, but I can't imagine they will be.

I'm telling ya I paid 4 bucks for 10.:eek::)