Z-Force deck "floats"...fix?????

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a Cub Cadet Z-Force zero turn mower I bought new 3 years ago, local Cub dealer. The deck height adjusts by setting a pin then deck lever locks onto that.
Here's where I was stupid...from day one the pin would fall out, stupid because I should have taken it back (warranty).
Instead I drilled a small hole, put a clevis pin in and it worked perfectly.
After a few months though I would mow, notice deck was unlatched "floating". I would hold handle down to mow.
Mechanism is simple, a spring loaded pawl made like drawing so deck will lock fully up or down on pin (pins shown red). Locked down if I rotate pin slightly it comes unlatched.
I called Cub and MTD, no help. Cub said be sure pin is smooth, it is, I tried grease even, nothing helps. The pawl cannot be flipped around, it's not symmetrical.
It's a poor design. Only fix I see (pita) would be taken all apart, then Dremel grind pawl slot deeper.
Anyone ever seen this and/or a fix? Cub, MTD, dealer are no help. Thanks.
20190730_172126.jpg20190730_172100.jpg20190730_172022.jpg20190730_171951.jpg20190730_172006.jpgcub%20deck.jpg

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #2  
I've not had the pleasure of delving into this problem. It looks like it is part of this 903-05143A? I could see that IF yours bound it could be an issue. The spring tension can't overcome the friction maybe?

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix?????
Yes! That's the lever. It has 133 hours on it and acted up with pin coming out from day one. That was easy.
This has lots of spring tension. Deck locked up position works perfectly. Deck works ok , pin highest cutting height, the lower you go worst it gets. I have it at 3.5" and rotate pin a few degrees and it pops out! It's been taken care of, in a garage, never hit or bent anything, no abuse.
Cub is sending me a new pin. I just thought maybe I'll try a long bolt, same diameter see what happens.
I can't believe I'm only one with this problem.

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #4  
Good description. Your mower has a very heavy fabricated deck- correct? Which means that there is likely a lift assist spring(s). The problem is worse the longer the spring(s) are extended. Can some of the tension be relieved from these springs? IE hooked into a different spot or make a short extension? Or does the spring(s) ride on the top of something which jars it in use? Along the lines with enlarging the notches - would a smaller diameter pin or bolt allow the cam to grab on better and be an easy solution? I see no bulletins pertaining to this BTW.

Thanks so much for checking. I'll check the assist spring to see if it's adjustable as will as I have lots of different diameter bolts to try.

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #6  
Typically when we have had issue there the deck is heavy on the anti-scalp wheels from time to time on irregularities, try mowing those areas a little higher!

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #7  
Hey guys, Im having the same issues with a 2 year old z force L 60”. I can get the handle to latch on some of the deck heights but not all of them. Wondering if anyone found a fix?

I forgot I posted this. Mine is fixed! It really doesn't make sense but factory sent me a new pin and all is well.
Looking at the old pin it looks fine, straight, doesn't look worn but new pin fixed it.
Factory guy said pin wouldn't help, I'm glad I insisted they send one anyway.
Only thing I can guess is over time maybe the vibration makes it smoother.

/ Z-Force deck "floats"...fix????? #9  
That’s crazy haha. I guess I’ll try ordering one. Mine will latch on all of the back holes but wont latch on the front holes. I figured something got bent out of shape or something.