Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,051  
I've spent most of my life in the insurance business, even taught risk mgmt at Travele rs Ins, very tuned into hazards of world.
(Perception of) Risk vs. Time..... bear with me, while I wander a bit.....

I remember an episode (haven't watched any for decades) of The Waltons, where Mom was driving their "modern" car down a dirt road at what Grandma considered crazy fast.... something like 30 mph.

Internet started up.... many people wanted no part of doing financial transactions online Back When.... Now, how many of us go 1 year w/o doing any business online.....

Are the risks >Now< zero ? Often, not... in fact, sometimes the Risks are higher later in Time.......

So what changes ? Mostly, just our Perception of Risk is what is different.....

Talking batteries here, is what got me rambling through the above flow.......

Remember When..... laptop batteries were making news for causing fires...... cell phones too....... anybody want to throw a number at the wall Today, as to how many Lithium batteries are kicking around an average household ????

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,052  
Yes it was me 90cummins.
Pittsfield Massachusetts had PCB super fund site that was remediated years ago and they required 24/7 air monitoring. Honda EU2000i generators were used for years with only 1 unit having issues. It started burning oil (hours unknown) and needed to be re-ringed. I bought it and repaired it and have had no issues to date.
Regardless of reputation there’s always one that doesn’t behave 🙄
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,053  
Lithium Ion batteries are what is in most electronics like your cell phone. Very light very energy dense, lasts well over 500 charge cycles probably over 1,000. Prone to blowing up & catching fire occasionally.

LiFePO4 or Lithium Iron Phosphate. Not quite as light as but lighter than NiCad or way lighter than Lead. Can suffer cold performance issues. Can crush them or do other naughty things to them & they don't catch fire. Very safe & stable compared to the other lithium or even lead acid.

There are some other lithium chemistries, but those are the 2 main ones. I'm going to be putting LiFePO4s in the next RV due to weight & maintnance free aspect. Also you can run them as low as the BMS will let you with no issues. Can't let a lead acid get below 50% or you degrade it. Most of those benefits don't help for starting & the cold weather issues aren't great. Double to triple the cost of lead acid though.

#6,054  
Yes it was me 90cummins.
Pittsfield Massachusetts had PCB super fund site that was remediated years ago and they required 24/7 air monitoring. Honda EU2000i generators were used for years with only 1 unit having issues. It started burning oil (hours unknown) and needed to be re-ringed. I bought it and repaired it and have had no issues to date.
Regardless of reputation there’s always one that doesn’t behave 🙄
90cummins
I thought it was you, but there's that Memory Bank of mine to consider...... :cool:

My recent post wasn't intended that way, but to be clear..... it wasn't a poke/slam against Honda...... LONG continuous operation is tough on any machine, and while idling under low-load (during our Winters) is somewhat obvious as an issue for diesels, I'm not convinced that gasoline generators are immune from those conditions....

Small gens often have a tough life. Reading up on some recent Champion products, I came across a post on Amazon listing an aftermarket dipstick with Magnet. Nice addition, something I'll keep in mind for future acquisitions, and if I can find some for my present Briggs engines, I'll add them there.....

Multiple Hondas on that superfund site (IIRC)...... assuming that they ever saw service during continuous operation, it might have been nothing more than that particular Honda (late Friday, early Monday..... :cool:) missed an oil-change.......

Rgds, D.

#6,055  
Lithium Ion batteries are what is in most electronics like your cell phone. Very light very energy dense, lasts well over 500 charge cycles probably over 1,000. Prone to blowing up & catching fire occasionally.

LiFePO4 or Lithium Iron Phosphate. Not quite as light as but lighter than NiCad or way lighter than Lead. Can suffer cold performance issues. Can crush them or do other naughty things to them & they don't catch fire. Very safe & stable compared to the other lithium or even lead acid.

There are some other lithium chemistries, but those are the 2 main ones. I'm going to be putting LiFePO4s in the next RV due to weight & maintnance free aspect. Also you can run them as low as the BMS will let you with no issues. Can't let a lead acid get below 50% or you degrade it. Most of those benefits don't help for starting & the cold weather issues aren't great. Double to triple the cost of lead acid though.
Many factors to consider. Some (other than $) are critical, depending on application.

Not an issue for some geographies, but Cold Temperature Performance is a top care-about for me. Things NOT starting in Winter can be a lot more than just inconvenient....

That ^ is some of the reason FLA (Pb) batteries and NiCD have been workhorses longer than many of us have been around.

Small, light, high energy density has its attractions...... that's why we have constant new (going into landfills) generations of portable electronics every year.....

Just because you can do something, shouldn't necessarily lead into the mind-trap of thinking you have to though.....

I recall a vid (I think I posted it in another thread on TBN.... it may have been from CBC, back when I'd still watch them....) about various alternative energy installations across Canada. I can still picture one site, on Vancouver or Salt Spring Island...... my impression of the off-grid house was that it was owned by somebody who could just stroke a cheque for anything they wanted....

Nice big deck beside the house....... first thing you saw was what looked like a nicely designed and built big cedar table in the centre of the deck. Flip up the lid, it actually held big Trojan or Rolls batteries....... why have Another Box just tacked on beside the house, when you can Hide in Plain Site......

While there can be valid engineering reasons to pay-up for New Tech, companies are also well-aware that many people are reflexively attracted to something that is perceived as New....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,056  
While new technology is interesting I’m a sit back & wait for feedback before thinking about change.
Case is point is my new to me 2006 Mercedes E320 cdi 3.2 liter diesel. I’ve repaired these for years impressed with the efficiency, 36 mpg at 75 plus mph highway and abundance of quality after market parts. They are well designed for ease of repair & maintenance.
The heater motor for example takes perhaps 1 hour to replace versus our 2016 Volvo that requires many many hours to access.
Many times I have thought I could have bought a turnkey generator backup for many thousands less than I have invested in time & money that would require factory technicians to repair if needed.
My system to made with readily available components (mostly) that are proven, & I understand and can repair/improvise if needed.
Nope; no new (new) technology for me.
No DPF’s or diesel urea vehicles for me yet.
1990 Dodge Cummins (show condition)
1997 Dodge Cummins very good condition.
2006 Mercedes cdi excellent condition.
Ford 1720 3500 hours no issues.
25kw PTO generator wired to a 200 amp Onan transfer switch.
Yanmar L100 rebuilt 28v DC alternator.
Yanmar L90 rebuilt pressure washer.
Yanmar L70 (special spec)long run series with 3 quart oil sump on a not so portable portable.
Farymann 435 diesel MEP-952-b 28volt APU.
Kubota ZD1211 new no dpf.
Honda EU2000i rebuilt.

Waiting in e-room for wife with twisted knee.
Just rambling.
90cummins
Over & out

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,057  
I've got one of those kubota lowboys also. I built an insulated and mouse proof "dog house" for it.
I think my build is here in this thread somewhere.
I got tired of the "hook up" myself and found my stationary diesel unit and built it a home. Still a manual switch but that's what I prefer anyway.
Since you own one of these Kubota lowboy generators, can you answer a few questions? Not much info available online.

Can you divert the exhaust with a pipe to get it outside a building?
Can an external fuel tank be rigged without too much trouble?
Is the unit weatherproof at all?

Instead of taking up valuable floor space in the barn, I'm thinking I might try placing it under a deck which is 12' off the ground. It stays fairly dry underneath but rain & snow does blow in sometimes. That way, it will be hidden and the "taxmen" won't pick it up on their aerial photographs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,058  
Since you own one of these Kubota lowboy generators, can you answer a few questions? Not much info available online.

Can you divert the exhaust with a pipe to get it outside a building? yes, it's got a short stub exiting the enclosure vertically. It's under 11/2" pjpe.
Can an external fuel tank be rigged without too much trouble. I would think so provided that it's gravity fed to the generator. I didn't really investigate this but the tank is above everything.
Is the unit weatherproof at all?
I would say that it's built to be outside for sure.
Instead of taking up valuable floor space in the barn, I'm thinking I might try placing it under a deck which is 12' off the ground. It stays fairly dry underneath but rain & snow does blow in sometimes. That way, it will be hidden and the "taxmen" won't pick it up on their aerial photographs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Answers in "bold" above. 👍

#6,059  
While new technology is interesting I’m a sit back & wait for feedback before thinking about change.
Case is point is my new to me 2006 Mercedes E320 cdi 3.2 liter diesel. I’ve repaired these for years impressed with the efficiency, 36 mpg at 75 plus mph highway and abundance of quality after market parts. They are well designed for ease of repair & maintenance.
The heater motor for example takes perhaps 1 hour to replace versus our 2016 Volvo that requires many many hours to access.
Many times I have thought I could have bought a turnkey generator backup for many thousands less than I have invested in time & money that would require factory technicians to repair if needed.
My system to made with readily available components (mostly) that are proven, & I understand and can repair/improvise if needed.
Nope; no new (new) technology for me.
No DPF’s or diesel urea vehicles for me yet.
1990 Dodge Cummins (show condition)
1997 Dodge Cummins very good condition.
2006 Mercedes cdi excellent condition.
Ford 1720 3500 hours no issues.
25kw PTO generator wired to a 200 amp Onan transfer switch.
Yanmar L100 rebuilt 28v DC alternator.
Yanmar L90 rebuilt pressure washer.
Yanmar L70 (special spec)long run series with 3 quart oil sump on a not so portable portable.
Farymann 435 diesel MEP-952-b 28volt APU.
Kubota ZD1211 new no dpf.
Honda EU2000i rebuilt.

Waiting in e-room for wife with twisted knee.
Just rambling.
90cummins
Over & out
Sympathy to better-half.... twisted joints not fun.....

Compact, pre-emission light vehicle diesel..... one of the most efficient transport platforms..... therefore not popular/allowed here.....

Nice collection there 90..... not quite as many pliers as you posted in the tool thread (or, was it here....), but that ^ list costs $$$$ to accumulate !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,060  
are you feeling a little down in the new year?
there's an easy cure, you need a bigger motor for your generator. ;)
Having owned several 8V71TI's, when they wanted to grow up, way up, they
wanted to be an EMD.

you do need 1.5MW don't you?
you could give some free to your neighbors.
think how popular you would be.

470 gallons of oil, talk about a maintenance bill.
Nine 55 gallon drums of oil.
Try fitting that in your garden shed....
I wonder if the engine oil capacity is half that and they have another half in storage.
that would still be over 200 gallons of motor oil. Definitely heavy equipment time.

5671 ci times 16 cylinders
Each cylinder the size of a V8

my favorite quote here is these things leak a lot

Which is how they got the name Driptroits.

the perfect gen for the man who wants to power a dozen of his neighbors.

most of us whine we have to deal with 3600 rpm when we really want 1800 rpm.
well...900 rpm is half of that. No wonder they are almost indestructible.

my little gen started up just fine yesterday, warmish day out.
fingers crossed for my sister on CA coastline, the amount of rain predicted there over five days is worrisome.
As in house sliding down the hill worrisome. Their 22kw Generac is at the ready

something tells me this EMD would not pass California emissions.