Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,001  
those are gorgeous top of the line diesel generators. It's a lot of money though for not a lot of power output.
though you know that engine will run forever.
I drooled over one at the Kubota dealer.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,002  
Nice setup!

I've been considering a "generator shack" or even an outdoor diesel genny but around here, we get taxed on all permanent outdoor installations.

Right now, I'm using this 12.5KW Baumalight PTO model:

View attachment 776042

I'm getting to the age where setting it up is a bigger chore than it used to be. I always have an implement on the tractor which has to be removed and then I have to roll out & install the PTO genny. It's a real pain to do for the frequent short term outages we get around here. I wouldn't mind installing a permanent whole house generator if it weren't for the tax issue.

Lately, I've been looking at "portable" diesel powered models like this Kubota Lowboy model with caster wheels:

View attachment 776052

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200680313_200680313?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators > Commercial Generators&utm_campaign=Kubota&utm_content=59890&gclid=Cj0KCQiA45qdBhD-ARIsAOHbVdGjpyxKwU3Z_ttnbnWkJL05pZeOZH9nIsArb8tr1YXmCgnKyvfFUmwaAulnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That way, I could reuse the wiring for the PTO generator I have now. The caster wheel option would let me move it around the barn rather than dedicate permanent floor space which is limited.
Or it is a good reason to have a spare tractor, My IH 574 never got the chains removed all summer long and stayed hooked to the generator. Just walk over to it start it up, warm it up abit and start generating. When severe weather is predicted I will often back it up to the connection point and have her ready to go.
If I need her for something else, just a draw pin and a pto disconnect and she's ready to go.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,003  
Or it is a good reason to have a spare tractor, My IH 574 never got the chains removed all summer long and stayed hooked to the generator. Just walk over to it start it up, warm it up abit and start generating. When severe weather is predicted I will often back it up to the connection point and have her ready to go.
If I need her for something else, just a draw pin and a pto disconnect and she's ready to go.
I already have two dedicated to other uses. A third tractor would be VERY expensive if you add the cost of a divorce :rolleyes:

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,004  
those are gorgeous top of the line diesel generators. It's a lot of money though for not a lot of power output.
though you know that engine will run forever.
I drooled over one at the Kubota dealer.
I agree, the $$/KW ratio is pretty high for the Kubota but I don't really need much. It's just the wife and I in the house now and the 12.5 KW Baumalight PTO genny more than fills our needs.

Another thing I like about these self contained units is they are easily moved with pallet forks. I could use it in other buildings if necessary.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,005  
Nice setup!

I've been considering a "generator shack" or even an outdoor diesel genny but around here, we get taxed on all permanent outdoor installations.

View attachment 776042

I'm getting to the age where setting it up is a bigger chore than it used to be. I always have an implement on the tractor which has to be removed and then I have to roll out & install the PTO genny. It's a real pain to do for the frequent short term outages we get around here. I wouldn't mind installing a permanent whole house generator if it weren't for the tax issue.

Lately, I've been looking at "portable" diesel powered models like this Kubota Lowboy model with caster wheels:

View attachment 776052

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200680313_200680313?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators > Commercial Generators&utm_campaign=Kubota&utm_content=59890&gclid=Cj0KCQiA45qdBhD-ARIsAOHbVdGjpyxKwU3Z_ttnbnWkJL05pZeOZH9nIsArb8tr1YXmCgnKyvfFUmwaAulnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That way, I could reuse the wiring for the PTO generator I have now. The caster wheel option would let me move it around the barn rather than dedicate permanent floor space which is limited.

I had to hang out on here a while, to understand that Excessive Taxation wasn't just a "Canadian Thing"..... :rolleyes:

To be fair, I can (and have) built a 10x10 Shed here, with no additional tax exposure, but many areas of the States have much lower milrates on domestic dwellings than what we have..... so I guess I just pre-paid, then made use of the "feature". :cool:

Barn - can you just code-build a side shed on the barn w/o a change in how that's taxed ?

Farm operation...... hang an SMV sign on a trailer, build shed on same, or even just drop a small sea-can in good shape on it ?

I like trailer options, but they can raise security issues, esp. if you live in an area where Things Go Walkabout on their own....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,006  
I already have two dedicated to other uses. A third tractor would be VERY expensive if you add the cost of a divorce :rolleyes:
Big LOL !

If I can ever find that Lied to by Tractor Salesman About Cost thread again, your post needs to be cross-linked there !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,008  
I've got one of those kubota lowboys also. I built an insulated and mouse proof "dog house" for it.
I think my build is here in this thread somewhere.
I got tired of the "hook up" myself and found my stationary diesel unit and built it a home. Still a manual switch but that's what I prefer anyway.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,009  
Nice setup!

View attachment 776042

That building is sitting on a deep gravel "bed" and in My ruling, 'temporary' with no foundation. 😆
I'm not a big believer in building permits for anything other than a residence, long driveway deep in the woods. They're not the real aggressive money grabbing type of building dept. around here. Very realistic and level headed.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,010  
That building is sitting on a deep gravel "bed" and in My ruling, 'temporary' with no foundation. 😆
I'm not a big believer in building permits for anything other than a residence, long driveway deep in the woods. They're not the real aggressive money grabbing type of building dept. around here. Very realistic and level headed.
It used to be that way around here 45 years ago when I first built the place. I could put something up and it was years before the county found out about it. Now days, they use aerial & satellite imagery to detect changes on the ground. If there is some question, they send someone out to investigate. They even levy fines for building without a permit. I thought about putting a shipping container in the hemlocks to avoid detection but it's too far from the house for a generator.

The best solution would be to move up your way. I spent quite a bit of time up near Millinocket and I like the area. Now if I could just convince the wife. :unsure: