Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,581  
Not enclosed at all right now, other than the factory enclosure. I put the 4 x 4 posts in as sacrificial bumpers for the tractor, mowers, etc. The two at the house end are still around 6', so the thought is some 5' dog ear boards as a sound baffle. No air flow issues at all.

View attachment 748897
Modern Generac household enclosures I've been next to seem pretty quiet, but there are lots of variables......

Window A/C tend to leak sound and air, so improving that may be enough. I'd be tempted to build an "acoustic" (whole field of engineering right there, but as per the vid I posted, even crude changes can yield significant results) wall parallel to the house face, next to the generator. That ^ might be plenty on it's own - in my neck/woods, I'd also be tempted to have a sloped roof from the new wall to the existing rear posts.... but that's probably more because of the snow/ice here..... may be little/none your way.....

Wall one-side + roof, but still open on 3 sides shouldn't create any heat issues......

Rgds, D.

#5,582  
Hey grsthegreat, I just picked up an older (2005) 25k Generac, model 47253. Looks like the newer transfer switches will work with it.
I have 2-200amp main panels so I have to either run a 400a or 2 200a switches.
I don't think generac has a single panel with 2 200a switching gear inside like briggs and stratton does.

I think I did ok, $1k for the gen with 320hrs on it, was taken out of service 3yrs ago due to the stand it was on settling and needing an upgraded service rated ATS.View attachment 748953

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app
Sounds like a good deal, esp. where many prices have gone to these days.

Are you planning propane or natgas ? Let us know how the project goes.

Rgds, D.

#5,584  
Propane is my only option here

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app
Pretty typical for rural properties here too....

Natgas is common here, and may actually run down a rural road, but unless you are a big ag processing operation, it's usually too expensive to pay the gas company to line-in from their high-pressure line.....

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,585  
Well my generator is getting a maintenance run today,
Power went out about 8 AM nice sunny day no wind to speak of power just out.
Checked down at the intersection our side line fuse blown, reported the outage.
Gave it 3 hours and gave the pto shaft a couple of shots of grease, checked the gearbox oil.
Then checked the tractor oil and went to start her, danged battery was dead apparently the last person to move
it didn't turn the key off when they shut it down with the fuel stop. Went up and got the boost pack got her started
moved up to the house switched over and running as we speak.
Project restoration around 2 PM we shall see.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,586  
All’s good then, for now. Be prepared/proactive to replace the tractor battery as your typical battery wouldn’t fully recover from a complete drain like that. 🤷

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,587  
Well National Grid didn't make there projected 2 PM ended up at 3:45 PM,
the lineman didn't find anything thought it might have been a bird or squirrel.
He replaced the fuse and power back on. Could have gotten by just running the generator a couple of times,
but the heck with it once she up and running just let her go til power was restored.

#5,588  
Lou - 'ol Murph threw a curveballs your way...... good to hear that you're fully back in business.

Less-than 2 hours late.... no fun if no generator available, but all-in-all, not bad.....

In my last job, I lost track of how many aftermarket battery disconnect switches we installed on almost new Highway Tractors.... so many just drained the batteries when parked for more than a day/two, even with everything "Off".

My old 3930 (ex city-parks tractor) had an aftermarket turn-signal switch on it when I got it, that was always live. I could have rewired it, but had other reasons to install a basic HFreight style battery-post disconnect - still works great, and I leave the knob-with-stud connector in the house, for a slight bit of additional security.

Rgds, D.

#5,589  
All’s good then, for now. Be prepared/proactive to replace the tractor battery as your typical battery wouldn’t fully recover from a complete drain like that. 🤷
Batteries.... sigh..... this one may land on my desk next week @ work, if the guy who was supposed to be dealing with it last week didn't get it done....

Generator maintenance company quoted $1500 to replace the starting batteries for the whole-building generator @ work, "based on the age of the batteries" . One of our guys showed me a picture - existing batteries had plenty of green-fuzz on their posts.

Yep, same maintenance company that is paid at least once/year (not my contract to administer, it may be more often....) to service and test that same generator, now wants to charge us $1500 to change-out what is maybe $600 worth of batteries.

My first thought - What the ______ were they doing for Maintenance ?

Second thought - I probably should start a Generator Maintenance company......

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,590  
Temps in upper 90s for the next few days. May top 100. Lows at night in the upper 70s.

Let's hope things hold.