Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,561  
I'm checking filters, etc. to do the 10 year maintenance on my Isuzu. Have nearly 10 year old fuel filter and air filter. Think the air filter will still be good, but what about the fuel filter?

Got the WiX and NAPA equivalents for the oil and fuel filters. Could get them locally, but do not have for the air filter.

Also do not have the fuel bowl filter.

So, may contact Central Maine Diesel to ship new filters.

Have a gallon of some JD CoolGard II. Think that should work. Supposedly only takes 2 liters. Only thing that bothers me is the CoolGard is only rated for 6 years (someone said this on the forum). Can do better. Rather have 10 years, like for most all cars, pickups and SUVs now.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,562  
We just 'survived' an 8 day power outage.
Guess I'd better do an oil change, LOL.
Cost of gas sure hit the pocket book hard.**
On plus side the food savings probably offset running costs (22CF freezer + 2 fridges) also sanity was kept.
Being able to have Sat TV reception sure helped pass away the time.
Now if we could only get the land line back as cell coverage is pathetic.
Downed land line suffered from having heavy vehicles driving over them constantly.
Sure hurts paying for a land line that could not be used, at least with hydro you only pay for consumed power.

** also driving about to find an open station became a challenge then the long line ups did not help. Then I ended up with back pain from hauling filled 5 gal pails. Fortunately I was close to a bulk distribution location and they had generator power and good reserves.
My CC statement came in and I was shocked.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,563  
Our power went out last night but didn't even
notice it as it was on in the morning
So no need for generator

willy

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,564  
SLH has probably produced as many or even more air/oil cooled diesels then Deutz, and they are every bit as good, or even better for long lasting.

I have three of them here right now, GREAT diesels!

SR
Rob - indulge an old guy, after a long day...... SLH = _____________ ?

Regards, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,565  
Rob - indulge an old guy, after a long day...... SLH = _____________ ?

Regards, D.

Last I heard, SLH diesels were powering the generators in the camps at the South Pole, they run continuous and have been for years, even when no one is there.

SR

Last edited:
#5,566  
I'm checking filters, etc. to do the 10 year maintenance on my Isuzu. Have nearly 10 year old fuel filter and air filter. Think the air filter will still be good, but what about the fuel filter?

Got the WiX and NAPA equivalents for the oil and fuel filters. Could get them locally, but do not have for the air filter.

Also do not have the fuel bowl filter.

So, may contact Central Maine Diesel to ship new filters.

Have a gallon of some JD CoolGard II. Think that should work. Supposedly only takes 2 liters. Only thing that bothers me is the CoolGard is only rated for 6 years (someone said this on the forum). Can do better. Rather have 10 years, like for most all cars, pickups and SUVs now.
I can't find a quick link, but I had a chat with a Cummins parts person (meaning a Cummins employee) a year or so back. I think it was something like 6 or 7 years for paper media.

Archival storage (paper documents) requires specific paper.... I think the tiny amounts of trace chemicals in normal paper can lead to the media deteriorating over long periods of time.

@ 10 years, a filter may not collapse, but may perform slightly lower than what the original filter spec was - hence the reason for a filter OEM spec'ing a shelf-life.

Worst example I've come across..... a guy I know finally convinced his sister (real estate agent, bought a new vehicle and "never had time to change the oil") to let him change the oil... something like 35k km out. There was nothing left of the filter media (acid in the oil ate the paper), just the frame of the cartridge filter was left.....

Rgds, D.

#5,567  

Last I heard, SLH diesels were powering the generators in the camps at the South Pole, they run continuous and have been for years, even when no one is there.

SR
Thnx Rob. Learned something tonight.... why I like hanging out here (y).

Rgds, D.

#5,568  
We just 'survived' an 8 day power outage.
Guess I'd better do an oil change, LOL.
Cost of gas sure hit the pocket book hard.**
On plus side the food savings probably offset running costs (22CF freezer + 2 fridges) also sanity was kept.
Being able to have Sat TV reception sure helped pass away the time.
Now if we could only get the land line back as cell coverage is pathetic.
Downed land line suffered from having heavy vehicles driving over them constantly.
Sure hurts paying for a land line that could not be used, at least with hydro you only pay for consumed power.

** also driving about to find an open station became a challenge then the long line ups did not help. Then I ended up with back pain from hauling filled 5 gal pails. Fortunately I was close to a bulk distribution location and they had generator power and good reserves.
My CC statement came in and I was shocked.
Tough haul Piloon - good to hear that you and the food made it out this side OK.

Take care of the back - that's one thing that will take down everybody !

Cell phones often irritate me..... at times I'm pretty sure I could do way better on ham radio.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,569  
Acoustics ....

Generator is about 15 feet from the house, exhaust end pointed away and out into an open field. Intake (battery, status light, etc) end faces house. Due to terrain it cannot be further away. It's not terrible on the weekly test runs, but still noisy enough that it will be annoying on longer duration runs.

Considering setting a removable wooden fence panel a foot or two back from the intake end in hopes it will be effective in diverting/deadening noise. But I'm also concerned it might somehow do the opposite and pick-up/echo/amplify the noise.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,570  
I'm surprised the major gen manufacturers don't offer some kind of built in sound shielding. Might cost 200 bucks extra, but on a larger portable gen, in more urban areas, might be worth it.
Of course you could always spend 200 bucks on shrubs or baffle walls or something. Some of the most ingenious little buildings I've seen are seen right here with guys building little
sophisticated buildings for their gens. I've owned rv's with small gens and built in shielding; put one of those on wheels with a pull handle.
Just thinking that other than inverter gens not much quiet about this product normally until you get to a whole house gen with a sound shield.
for sure not everyone can afford a $4500 Honda inverter gen. Though what a fine piece of equipment.

Not sure what all the sources of noise are, but know it's not just exhaust. Most motor mounts I've seen for small gens aren't that sophisticated.
At 3600 rpm, lot of buzz and resonance.
I hope the future brings better alternatives. They need to find the big lithium mine of their dreams some place and then we'll all have solid state power sources.
The gens of today though will be around a very long time.

I wonder if Generac has caught up with manufacturing backlog. I think they are too busy pumping out what they have to spend a lot of time on quieter gens...

Piloon, glad your gen worked reliably. Give it a thank you oil change.