You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,181  
Reagan was sort of a lesser impact because it was reported that way. 9/11 was different because the whole world knew victims and watched the events play out on multiple computer screens across the country and world.

Networks may have bleeped it out but financial people saw the jumping and heard them hitting the awnings at street level. Interview conversations on the street often didn't even pause after an impact but the interview continued. People clung to the ledges with no hope of escape and everyone watched the desperation unfold. Rumors spread in seconds.

I'd say 9/11 and The Cuban Missile Crisis were equals because of the amount of unknowns. JFK was powerful because it was 100% unexpected and he was so well liked. If you were a kid, you'll never forget Nov 22. I note there was no notice of the event on the news this past year. I guess it's history now.

The nukes from Cuba were supposed to be launched the next AM and I recall it reported and talked about that way. Adult men that had fought with fixed bayonets in the sands of Europe were afraid and said so.
Initially they did not bleep people jumping out of the twin towers. I was in complete shock watching events transpire live on national news in my stateside barracks. Anyways as a genx'r earliest news reports I remember was princess Diana getting married in 81, on a more tragic and somber note I remember the 83 Beirut barracks bombing.. in regards to nuclear war "duck and cover" i guess it prevented observing firsthand a superheated fireball about to vaporize you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306-115433.png
    Screenshot_20240306-115433.png
    633.7 KB · Views: 28
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,182  
To those old enough to remember the JFK assassination, or already an adult when Reagan was shot (I was a kid), how did these events compare to 9/11 in terms of immediate national/social impact?

<snip>

Did the JFK and attempted Reagan assassinations hit anywhere near as hard as 9/11? Cuban missile crisis?
The JFK assassination was a punch to the gut. But we recovered quickly.
9/11 we are still recovering from the after effects of what became a profitable war for many.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,183  
I think a single attack on a politician v an attack on the whole country is much different. Especially on home soil.

Hopefully there will never be anything close to 911 in America again.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,184  
You are old when they don't ask you, if you want the past 64 discount. They just give it to you, straight up.. :)

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,185  
9/11 definitely numbed me in terms of events that caused loss of life. still remember I used to think a plane crashing with several hundred casualties was horrible after 9/11 never again felt that same way again.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,186  
You are old when they don't ask you, if you want the past 64 discount. They just give it to you, straight up.. :)
My local grocery store has started selling beer and wine under a restaurant license (PA LCB rules), and their registers are set up to require the entry of a drivers' license to complete the sale. It's always fun watching 80+ year old women get carded for their husband's weekly 6 pack, or their bottle of White Zinfandel. :D

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,187  
My local grocery store has started selling beer and wine under a restaurant license (PA LCB rules), and their registers are set up to require the entry of a drivers' license to complete the sale. It's always fun watching 80+ year old women get carded for their husband's weekly 6 pack, or their bottle of White Zinfandel. :D
Or an elderly parent needs you to buy smokes or booze for them cuz they didn't bother to renew there d.l. anymore and no longer have anything thing to scan.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,188  
Or an elderly parent needs you to buy smokes or booze for them cuz they didn't bother to renew there d.l. anymore and no longer have anything thing to scan.
I don't know if they'd accept other forms of ID, but given the location of this store, you're not getting there without a drivers' license anyway. Only catch might be if your chauffer is under 21, legal drinking age in PA.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,189  
My state does require a scannable id card, I also believe my previous state I lived in does these days.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,190  
Federal Passport is suppose to be good everywhere for age and identity.

Is this no longer the case?