You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,051  
That slant 6 was a good motor!
I would tow my home made dump trailer which it did fine except on one steep road it just was not enough to pull loaded with a yard+ dirt.

Friend had a 318 Valiant no problem.

But the 318 was thirsty compared the slant 6

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,052  
You know you are old when you crank started your first car and quicky learned to park strategically on an incline whenever possible
Didn't have a crank start, but the incline came in handy when I couldn't afford a new battery. (That was pre-everything is an automatic) for you younger folks.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,053  
One like this? I've had it 50 years . I just took it out for a spin...runs great. I try keeping it original as possible, the tube radio still works. It's a 1958 and I've gotten 50 mpg...back when gas was 18c/gal.View attachment 855359View attachment 855360View attachment 855361View attachment 855362View attachment 855363View attachment 855364View attachment 855365
A good friend had one just like that in the late 60s. He drove it to LA, but I think he sold it there. His was a 59 I think.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,054  
Most guys wouldn't be caught dead driving a Met...but girls think it's so cute and want to ride in it...even with an ugly old bald grandpa driving it!
16 second clip driving down a back road today.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,055  
Most guys wouldn't be caught dead driving a Met...but girls think it's so cute and want to ride in it...even with an ugly old bald grandpa driving it!
I drove his once. Three on the tree I think. It was 1969 when he had it. Definitely not the car for date time shenanigans though.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,056  
Was it a stroked 302?
Looks like a sweet setup! Those Ford strokers made a ton of torque. My Mustang had a Dart sb
427 with about 630hp and was a torque monster!
View attachment 855502
Wow, awesome picture, looks like a great traction monster.
Yes, it started out as a 302 for the first 6 years the V8 was in there, and then one fall I decided to buy the balanced stroker kit so I removed the 302, stripped the block bare, and had a local Ford guru in our area bore it out .030 thou, and set the new crank, pistons and cam back in it, and then I did the rest. It also has the 351 heads. I,ve never raced it, or run it on a track. The guy in San Diego that actually makes and sells kits to install the 302 engine has had his up to 150 mph on a track, but said it gets very light in the front end and was afraid he won,t be able to steer it. There is a guy that goes by the name AVANTI that bought a car that basically started out the same as my 347 stroker for his wife to run on the Bonneville salt flats, and was then heavily modified by someone in California for aerodynamics, that ran 175 mph on the flats. Much, much more brave than me. LOL
What distance and times did you run with your monster ?

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,059  
16 second clip driving down a back road today.
You were hauling the mail 30mph!
Thanks for the clip bro!

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,060  
Wow, awesome picture, looks like a great traction monster.
Yes, it started out as a 302 for the first 6 years the V8 was in there, and then one fall I decided to buy the balanced stroker kit so I removed the 302, stripped the block bare, and had a local Ford guru in our area bore it out .030 thou, and set the new crank, pistons and cam back in it, and then I did the rest. It also has the 351 heads. I,ve never raced it, or run it on a track. The guy in San Diego that actually makes and sells kits to install the 302 engine has had his up to 150 mph on a track, but said it gets very light in the front end and was afraid he won,t be able to steer it. There is a guy that goes by the name AVANTI that bought a car that basically started out the same as my 347 stroker for his wife to run on the Bonneville salt flats, and was then heavily modified by someone in California for aerodynamics, that ran 175 mph on the flats. Much, much more brave than me. LOL
What distance and times did you run with your monster ?
It ran a best of 10.08 @ 132 at Famoso raceway in Bakersfield Ca. 1/4 mi.