You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,302  
My in laws were married 67 years.

That is the longest marriage of anyone I knew personally.

Anyone on TBN exceed 67 years of marriage?
Can't say but had a patient yesterday for eye surgery brought in by her husband and they are 76 years married and it was a very short courtship as they both knew.

They came in holding hands...

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,303  
My in laws were married 67 years.

That is the longest marriage of anyone I knew personally.

Anyone on TBN exceed 67 years of marriage?

I can't remember the exact date, but my in-laws are close to that. A good while ago, we had a dual 50th wedding anniversary party for my wife's parents and her aunt and uncle.

At her father's wedding, the best man was the groom's brother. The maid of honor was the bride's cousin. The maid of honor was already engaged to be married to someone else at the time, but she met the best man at the wedding, and they got along REALLY well! Within a couple of months, her engagement was called off, and she married the best man instead.

It doesn't sound like the start of a long and stable marriage, but both couples are still alive and together.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,307  
I'm beginning to think one of the key differences between "young" and "old" is a basic understanding of the first amendment. Watching interviews with protesting students at Columbia and UCLA, so many of them claim their first amendment rights are being trampled by their university. How simultaneously ignorant and entitled can one be? :rolleyes:

The 1st Amendment only protects one against arrest and persecution for expressing your thoughts and ideas. But it does not preclude any employer or university from deciding you're more trouble than you are worth, and asking you to leave. Freedom works both ways, and these student protests are negatively impacting the student life of the majority of students who are actually complying with university policies.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,308  
I'm beginning to think one of the key differences between "young" and "old" is a basic understanding of the first amendment. Watching interviews with protesting students at Columbia and UCLA, so many of them claim their first amendment rights are being trampled by their university. How simultaneously ignorant and entitled can one be? :rolleyes:

The 1st Amendment only protects one against arrest and persecution for expressing your thoughts and ideas. But it does not preclude any employer or university from deciding you're more trouble than you are worth, and asking you to leave. Freedom works both ways, and these student protests are negatively impacting the student life of the majority of students who are actually complying with university policies.

True, but the way our rights have been trampled on in the last 10-20 years is such a disgrace that nothing surprises me.

“no joke”

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,309  
1714132021616.png

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,310  
Same. We tend to get a later start in life, these days.

When I look back at the family tree, most branches of mine are traced back into the early 1500's, it's amusing to see the spacing between generations in years prior to WW2 versus everything after. Couples getting married by 20 and first kids in early 20's were common, at least in my family's past, meaning you could realistically see 5 or even 6 generations gathered at the same time.

Now, with so many not having kids until their mid-30's, it's a notable event any time a family can put more than 3 generations in the same photo.
Not everyone got married young in the old days either. My father was in his early 30s when he and my mother got married, my wife's parents were even older. Mine made it to the low 50s together, I don't think hers made it to 50. Of the 4 only my mother made it past 84. (never met my wife's parents...both were gone before we met).
For my wife and I to hit our 70th anniversary we'd have to make it to 2078.