/ You Know You Are Old When #2,281  
10th grade set pins in a bowling alley it was for a
mens club no public and I got paid whether they
showed up to bowl or not but my buddy always had
to set pins all his bowlers would always show up but
for me I slep almost every night that I was suppose to
set pins and I got $12 a night for sleeping

Last 2 years of high school worked at a supper club got
paid $75 a week and had every other week end off. They would pick me up from school and they gave every one their evening meal, we had steaks, standing
rib roast etc. free

Because my wife would get a back ache doing dishes
we started using paper plates, plastic knives, forks &
spoons and I did the cooking and ended up washing the pots and pans.

willy

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,282  
A few times I was recruited for events at a private country club…

They treated us high school kids very well… mostly parking cars.

I still remember a $20 tip and said sir I can’t accept as much too generous and the wife said we appreciate excellent service and just say thank you!

The chef fed us very well… filet migon smothered in mushrooms already on plates and covered.

The rules were simple respectful and courteous at all times and 100% care for the vehicles entrusted and anyone drinking or smoking fired on the spot.

I doubt today 16 year olds would valet park as there were some very expensive cars.

One guy with a Ferrari said get in kid and direct me where to park.

I said we have a VIP spot on the right and he gave me $5 and I didn’t even drive or maybe the 5 spot was because I wasn’t driving???

I’m sure connections could be made… a friend caddy and several members wrote recommendation letters for UC Berkeley and Stanford.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#2,283  
A few times I was recruited for events at a private country club.

Good memories.

I caddied one summer at a country club. Not the most exclusive in STL, but still a country club.

It was a blast. My friends and I would carry the clubs and help locate balls after the drives.

The members were pretty nice and took care of us after the round.

Looking back, I think they were nice to keep us from talking about their occasional “foot wedge” or dropping a ball without penalty.

Little did they know we could have cared less about that stuff.

They didn’t feed us near as well as you, but we were allowed to play golf early on Monday mornings.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,284  
All the guys I knew working at the area golf courses were pretty happy.

Even at the municipal course.

I’ve never golfed but the golfers seemed nice guys and free with advice…

One friend was having car trouble and his golfer had a dealership…. he made a call saying he was sending someone over for reliable basic transportation and the owner financed it… like no interest for a 17 year old.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,288  
A few times I was recruited for events at a private country club…

They treated us high school kids very well… mostly parking cars.

I still remember a $20 tip and said sir I can’t accept as much too generous and the wife said we appreciate excellent service and just say thank you!

The chef fed us very well… filet migon smothered in mushrooms already on plates and covered.

The rules were simple respectful and courteous at all times and 100% care for the vehicles entrusted and anyone drinking or smoking fired on the spot.

I doubt today 16 year olds would valet park as there were some very expensive cars.

One guy with a Ferrari said get in kid and direct me where to park.

I said we have a VIP spot on the right and he gave me $5 and I didn’t even drive or maybe the 5 spot was because I wasn’t driving???

I’m sure connections could be made… a friend caddy and several members wrote recommendation letters for UC Berkeley and Stanford.
I worked in a high end garage while in school and one Saturday night I had a hot date with a doll in a Jag XKE at 10:00 PM. Because I had to change clothes and stay clean I worked carefully that night.

Ten minutes before my date, an older guy in a big luxury car showed up spewing anti-freeze. The smelly kind. Broken hose would take time to match and I would stink and be greasy. I explained the date thing and he said it was Sat night and I was his last hope. I felt it was my job to honor the Texaco Star I wore.

Half joking, I agreed if, when I got out of school he would patronize my trade. He agreed and while the date and car was gone (forever), we had a barrel of laughs trying to find a radiator hose to fit and do the permanent repair I wanted. Despite saying no, he gave me a big tip and ---true to his word-- let me earn a profitable transaction early in my career. He helped me over the hump.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,290  
I worked in a high end garage while in school and one Saturday night I had a hot date with a doll in a Jag XKE at 10:00 PM. Because I had to change clothes and stay clean I worked carefully that night.
He agreed and while the date and car was gone (forever), we had a barrel of laughs trying to find a radiator hose to fit and do the permanent repair I wanted.
Probably just as well, likely as not the "doll" was every bit as high maintenance as the Jag. You seem like a pretty practical guy.