Yanmar Ring Gear Repair?

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #14  
I would be looking for a tractor wrecking yard before looking for a machine shop. You will have better luck finding a used ring gear before a machinist that would touch that

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #15  
This repair would work. For a while. If the repaired teeth were ground such that they provided clearance then the pinion wouldn't bind. But there would be serious lash. If the gear set spun slowly it might last a long time. Still, if I absolutely had to do a repair on my tractor's ring and pinion the job would be similar to the one in the video. The difference being that I would not trust grinding the teeth by eye and calling it good. I would first fix the pinion gear by using the ring gear as a gauge and then fix the ring gear by using the pinion gear as a gauge.
Eric

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #17  
This repair would work. For a while. If the repaired teeth were ground such that they provided clearance then the pinion wouldn't bind. But there would be serious lash. If the gear set spun slowly it might last a long time. Still, if I absolutely had to do a repair on my tractor's ring and pinion the job would be similar to the one in the video. The difference being that I would not trust grinding the teeth by eye and calling it good. I would first fix the pinion gear by using the ring gear as a gauge and then fix the ring gear by using the pinion gear as a gauge.
Eric
I posted those as a joke. Those repairs are bogus. Anyone who knows about manufacturing, metallurgy, precision machining would never accept those welding and grinding techniques as a proper repair.

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair?
It's unfortunate but that repair is not an easy one. I'm a retired machinist, still have my shop, and would only attempt that repair if I had to. The reasons being that the ring and pinion are heat treated, hardened, and then finished on a machine made just for hobbing and/or grinding gears. If I had to make the repair myself I would weld up the broken teeth, rough grind by hand close to the proper profile, and then very carefully grind by hand using bluing to fit the ring and pinion. This would be a very long process. If you can find a place that does gear cutting you should talk to them and see what they think. Maybe try these folks: Replacement Parts They will reverse engineer your gears.
Eric
it looks like I'll just have to keep hunting for a junk yard or tractor salvage place....I am a proficient welder but I don't think I have the patience to rebuild this thing.

/ Yanmar Ring Gear Repair? #20  
I posted those as a joke. Those repairs are bogus. Anyone who knows about manufacturing, metallurgy, precision machining would never accept those welding and grinding techniques as a proper repair.
Those Indian/Pakistani videos are unique. Keep in mind that from the 1900's to the 1950's, and even later, vehicles and equipment were made ground up with similar tools and equipment.

The welded steel may well be as strong/hard as the base metal.

The biggest problem is whether or not the tooth profile would be good enough. One could use dyes and gauges to monitor precision of hand grinding the teeth. Apparently not being used in the video, at least what was shown.

In the more modern world, one might be able to program a CNC to grind and polish the teeth. Better if one's mill was capable of matching the axis on the tooth profile.

From links above, an E-Bay ad keeps popping up. I don't know if it is the right gear set.

$915... Whew!!! But, that may well be what the gear would cost.

So, is the tractor used for $915 worth of work? Or does one wish to do a backyard kludge that could get it moving under it's own power, and doing light home duty?

Undoubtedly there are shops that can cut new gears from scratch. However, it won't be cheap.