JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?!

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #11  
Unless you REALLY need the 4WD, could you just leave the carrier, ring gear and driveshaft out of it and run it 2WD? I agree 4WD is useful when mud/snow is an issue, but I run mine in 2WD most of the time here. Searching salvage yards would be my advice also, if you want to keep it 4WD... It's a US made tractor, with Yanmar motor, so cross referencing diff parts may not work out.

Last edited:
   / JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #12  
The John Deere 655, 755, 855 and 955 compact tractors were not Yanmar built tractors. Yes, they had Yanmar engines, but they were designed by John Deere and built starting in Horicon Wisconsin and later in Augusta Georgia.

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #13  
Try pricing one and delivery timing for a NH and you won't feel too bad.

Then try Kubota. Orange is sounding pretty good right now you say?

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #14  
The John Deere 655, 755, 855 and 955 compact tractors were not Yanmar built tractors. Yes, they had Yanmar engines, but they were designed by John Deere and built starting in Horicon Wisconsin and later in Augusta Georgia.
I beg to differ as I'm in constant contact with the recent Deere retired engineers. The tractors were kitted by Yanmar and mostly all assembled by Deere in WI and even more so now all assembly in GA.

Yanmar still does a bunch of the grunt work making parts themselves or with Kukje (now TYM). For the most part now, Deere is much like the car companies today.

Yanmar, TYM and Deere are all near each other in GA now. All working together. It's a global market.

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #15  
Has anybody been down this road with a better parts solution, or know if there is an identical Yanmar tractor that lines up with the JD 755/855/955.

Thanks!
Any update on a fix?

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #16  
Hey All,
I have had a good bit of trouble on the 4x4 (MFWD) axle on my 855 John Deere. I have had it apart a few times for various gears griding. I am guessing the previous owner worked it hard without a weight box for the front end problems i've had.

Most recently my ring and pinion gear on the axle are shot (am875146). The going rate for this part from Deere is $2800...I almost fell on the floor...this isnt a semi truck, it's a an 8" ring gear! For comparison I checked on parts pricing for a few similar newer models, and the ring and pinion were $400, so something just seems way off on the part I need!

Has anybody been down this road with a better parts solution, or know if there is an identical Yanmar tractor that lines up with the JD 755/855/955.

Thanks!
1679447029016.png

AM875146
41 TEETH Ring Gear
8 TEETH Pinion Gear

If sizes were known, it would be better to find the Yanmar equal.

These are just examples from a Yanmar F & FX series machines of the same era.

Last edited:
   / JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #17  
Call Motive Gear Toll free: 800-934-2727 don't know
if they have tractor parts but they have rear end parts

willy

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #18  
Call Motive Gear Toll free: 800-934-2727 don't know
if they have tractor parts but they have rear end parts

willy
Indeed.

I know the Yanmars and Yanmar made Deeres of that era were all automotive based ring and pinion gear sets. Yanmar tended to use parts from Datsun motors (today called Nissan). We know these things came off of the late 70s and thru the 80s Datsuns for our tractors,
- Headlight assemblies
- Horn
- Alternator
- VR (voltage regulator)
- turn signal flasher solenoid
- gears from the 521, 620, and B1110 pickups

So, if we knew some measurements, chances are, those parts can be had at AutoZone, NAPA, etc.

Example of a Datsun set,
1679525129604.png

/ JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #19  
I know the Yanmars and Yanmar made Deeres of that era were all automotive based ring and pinion gear sets. Yanmar tended to use parts from Datsun motors (today called Nissan). We know these things came off of the late 70s and thru the 80s Datsuns for our tractors,
- Headlight assemblies
- Horn
- Alternator
- VR (voltage regulator)
- turn signal flasher solenoid
- gears from the 521, 620, and B1110 pickups
Yeah. I suspect - based on nothing :) - that the first generation Powershift is an automotive A/T minus the torque converter. Or at the minimum, the Powershift internal clutches came from there. Also the clutch disk and pressure plate at the flywheel. And there should be some PS rebuild parts in common.

Last edited:
   / JD 855 4x4 Axle $2800 ring gear!?! #20  
Yeah. I suspect - based on nothing :) - that the first generation Powershift is an automotive A/T minus the torque converter. Or at the minimum, the Powershift internal clutches came from there. Also the clutch disk and pressure plate at the flywheel. And there should be some PS rebuild parts in common.
I had poked around on Rockauto.com for Nissan/Datsun 1971 thru 1974 and fond some part numbers to search on. It was indeed a surprises to see the B110 and 720 parts to mimic those of the Yanmar/Deere parts.

So, if the original poster can take the normal measurements of the worn parts, chances are he could locate exactly an automotive Japan vehicle match up.

On the Polish tractor forum, some of these Yanmar F & FX, Deere 55, 70, 90 Series have electronic relays. Its been fun finding the automotive equals too.