X570 seat switch too sensitive

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
We just bought a JD X570. Love the way it handles, but the seat switch is far to sensitive: if I shift my weight slightly to one side, it shuts down. Sometimes if I lean forward to duck under a tree branch (with my butt still planted in the seat), it shuts down.

I don't want to simply bypass it entirely. Is there any way to make it less sensitive?

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #2  
Gain more weight. :D

I don't disconnect mine, but I do put a jumper wire in the female connector that replaces my butt.

Cannot fathom having the tractor shut down every time I get off, and have to restart every time I get back on. Too much wear and tear on all the parts involved.

I understand there is a rare chance that I fall off and the tractor keeps going.. I'll take that chance. To me, it is a safer bet than getting in my car and pulling out onto the highway in traffic.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #3  
The seat and switch will get less sensitive as the seat begins to wear in a bit. Right out of the box the seat cushions are quite stiff. So if you can put up with it for a while it should get better. Many times I will lean over on my X500 and the engine will start to stumble and I can sit up and stop it from shutting off.

My 2720 seat on the other hand is ultra sensitive. All I need to do is off-weight a cheek slightly and bam... the engine shuts off.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #4  
With a little persistence you can reduce the sensitivity and keep switch function by either padding above the switch assy or shimming between the little switch and its cover inside.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #5  
My brand new X570 is but a month old. I'm not having any trouble with the seat switch, at all. If I stand up or get off - it cuts the engine off. Otherwise, I can wiggle all I want and it keeps running. I would check in with your JD dealer - perhaps there are adjustments that can be made.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #6  
“Take it to the dealer”...or try looking at it. Sorry if these answers seem flippant and not the ones you came to TBN for. Probably 90% of all TBN questions could be solved with these answers, making the website unnecessary.
Not sure about your model, but often the switch assembly unscrews from the bottom of the seat. Then you will see it’s just a switch that gets pressed when weight is applied to the seat above it.
What is happening is the switch isn’t being pressed enough when you shift your weight. Perhaps inspection will reveal an easy way to shim the switch so that it gets pressed sooner or easier; or a way to extend the seat area that triggers the switch.
As others mentioned, maybe the seat cushions are either too stiff (or not stiff enough) when you shift your weight,

Edit: Just saw Tomplum’s reply.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive
Looking at it was not possible since it was six miles away at the time I started this thread. I had been mowing on a hot humid day at another property and was to wiped out to remember to look when I stopped -- but thank you for that suggestion.

I was actually hoping for some tips and ideas before I went back so I'd know whether to bring anything special. At this point, my X570 sounds about like Jgayman's 2720: if I were to fart too hard, the engine would stutter. (On the other hand, my wife and kids have the same reaction if I let one go, so maybe that's just normal behavior.)

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #8  
Looking at it was not possible since it was six miles away at the time I started this thread. I had been mowing on a hot humid day at another property and was to wiped out to remember to look when I stopped -- but thank you for that suggestion.

I was actually hoping for some tips and ideas before I went back so I'd know whether to bring anything special. At this point, my X570 sounds about like Jgayman's 2720: if I were to fart too hard, the engine would stutter. (On the other hand, my wife and kids have the same reaction if I let one go, so maybe that's just normal behavior.)

This is what the seat switch looks like. It's like a hockey puck with a plunger switch inside. JD only sells it as a complete assembly with puck and plunger. Third parties like Stens sells the plunger switch separately. As you can see it can be easily disassembled by releasing the tabs. As a previous poster mentioned, you can increase the sensitivity by placing something soft above the puck or by inserting a shim between the top half of the puck and the plunger switch.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 127
   / X570 seat switch too sensitive #9  
i say eat more chocolate, pizza and drink more beer. you'll be able to weigh down that seat switch in no time flat.....

personally...i never have any issue keeping a seat switch compressed. but i love pizza.

/ X570 seat switch too sensitive #10  
BTW, not that this will solve your problem John, if you set the parking brake the engine will stay running when you get off the seat. As for sensitivity, you can try the ideas above or just have your dealer adjust it. Most likely they would replace the switch and if that didn't work replace the seat.