MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch
Adjust the seat adjustment to softer and it will solve the problem

Details?

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #52  
Have you considered having Kubota look at it? It may be a switch issue that is causing the over sensitivity of the switch. A simple change out might fix the issue.
Most people opt to just delete the switch, and while I admit that the switch can be a pain at times, there is a perfectly good reason for it's existance. Most people don't think the rare occasions that the switch might save their lives to be worth the aggravation of dealing with it.
My biggest issue with it is when I am trying to pick up something with the forks on the FEL and I can't quite see the tips of the forks, and don't want to run into the item. I typically get close, then adjust the for tips by standing up to see them, then moving slightly forward till I am under it. Not possible with the switch operating.
Just for the record, I have never disabled a switch, and my Kubota doesn't shut down when I get off the seat, so someone must have!
David from jax
It may be that if the transmission is in neutral the engine will stay running, but if you get out of the seat, or are bounced out in a freak accident while in gear it will kill the engine. Don't know for sure, just a thought.

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #53  
Kubota knows that everyone shorts the two wires to disable “operator presence” , and they also know that it is nearly impossible to engage quick-connect implements without standing up. The switch is there for one reason, and one reason only. When you short the wires, you transfer all liability for a very large variety of possible mishaps from Kubota, Inc. to YOURSELF.

This is not a bad thing. Operating large equipment safely requires attention, engagement, and a degree of intelligence on the part of the operator. It is entirely appropriate for responsibility for safe operation to lie with the operator and not the manufacturer.
I would say the real reason the safety switches are there is because there is a bureaucrat, somewhere in the depths of the Washington swamp who feels it is his/her job to keep us safe. Sometimes their decisions actually make sense, sometimes not so much!

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #54  

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpeg
    IMG_1828.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 31
   / MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #55  
I don't believe that there is anything short of disabling it. On my 5400 I unplugged the switch, installed an automotive fuse in the connector & zip-tied it in place.
I bought a new MX5400 in '22, and I am almost ready to completely disable the seat safety switch. It entirely too sensitive, and and just about any change in position on the seat will shut the tractor down. I'm 170lbs, and its aggravating trying to run/watch any implement behind you without the tractor trying to turn off. Looks like this one is physically built into the bottom of the seat cushion, so I am not sure if there is any way to make it less sensitive. Its bad enough that my 130lb wife and 140lb son can't even operate the tractor.

Any solution short of disabling it all together?

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #56  
Our JD 4600 and our old Craftsman lawn tractor use the same setup, even looks like the same switch. It's a push-button momentary switch on the bottom of the seat that's normally OFF. Sit on the seat, something presses the button, and allows the tractor to operate. Remove weight from the seat, and it switches off. The switch is easily replaceable with the seat tipped up, and it's probably easy to find a cheap aftermarket replacement. (Though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the JD part has something about it, like a longer button, that would mean the common aftermarket part wouldn't work.)
The JD switch started acting up the way you describe, and I simply bypassed it. I considered replacing the switch, but I'm nearly 75, and grew up driving a 1950's tractor that didn't have anything to keep me safe from my own folly except the training that my father gave to me, so I have learned what I should avoid doing.
The lawn tractor switch is still working as designed, so I'm leaving it alone. If I hire a kid to mow my lawn for me, one that hasn't had the advantage of my father's rigorous and extensive training, I don't want that switch disabled.

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #57  
I bought a new MX5400 in '22, and I am almost ready to completely disable the seat safety switch. It entirely too sensitive, and and just about any change in position on the seat will shut the tractor down. I'm 170lbs, and its aggravating trying to run/watch any implement behind you without the tractor trying to turn off. Looks like this one is physically built into the bottom of the seat cushion, so I am not sure if there is any way to make it less sensitive. Its bad enough that my 130lb wife and 140lb son can't even operate the tractor.

Any solution short of disabling it all together?
I would physically move the switch inside the seat closer to your body - so that your weight would close the switch easier. Right now it looks like when they made the seat - the switch was put too low and it needs a lot more weight to close the circuit - Depending if the switch is indeed an open circuit type or a closed circuit one - just change the language above). It needs to be closer to your body !

/ MX5400....I hate the seat safety switch #58  
Same here
I think it was the first thing I did as well, never regretted it